1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion energy question

1. Jun 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Can I get help in part (b) of this question ?
    Q1.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    KE=1/2 m v2
    v= (2π f )√(A2 - x2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I substituted the second equation into first one, so i got
    KE= 1/2 m (2π f )2 (A2 - x2)

but then couldnt complete

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2015 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

You are apparently concerned with the answer to part b. One approach starts with the insight that total energy is conserved. The sum of PE + KE is a constant.

If KE is 3/4 of total energy then what fraction of total energy is PE?

The next insight is that the force required for harmonic motion is exactly the force supplied by a perfect spring. Or, simpler yet, we could simply assume that the oscillation is produced by a mass attached to a perfect spring. Do you know the formula for the potential energy of a spring?

4. Jun 5, 2015 #3
    Do you mean hooks law F=-kx ?

5. Jun 5, 2015 #4

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Yes. That's part of it. There is also a formula for energy in a spring as a function of displacement x. That formula can be derived by integrating F=-kx over distance. The result is PE = 1/2kx2

6. Jun 5, 2015 #5
    Hi,
    You know that the energy is conserved right, so E is constant, why not calculating is at any point, example would be when there's no kinetic energy, Once you got E, you know that when KE = 3E/4, what is left if energy is potential energy, do this sound familier kx^2 /2 ?

7. Jun 5, 2015 #6
    well , iam not used to PE = 1/2kx2 :(

8. Jun 5, 2015 #7
    Kx^2/2 is the elastic potential energy of a system, where K is the spring's constant, x is the strech of the spring, and 1/2 is one half (obviously, ) and if you want a proof, W = F.x so dW = F*dx = F*x'dt = k*x*x' dt and you integrate both sided and it yields to W = 1/2kx^2 ! And now you can work with it, good luck

9. Jun 5, 2015 #8

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

If you don't like using PE = 1/2 kx2 there are still a couple of other approaches to solving the original problem. Do you prefer trigonometry or differential calculus?

10. Jun 5, 2015 #9
    Isnt it possible to solve it by the equation I have given ?
    it will be the same on both sides , but one will have the coefficient (3/4).
    At the same time , it say in equilibrium position , so one side will have x=0, and so max. velocity (K.E)
    but i am facing problem in which side to place them ( right or left ).
    correct me if I am wrong please .

11. Jun 5, 2015 #10

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

The equation seems to be missing a factor of sin(theta).

Edit: I take that back. That's what the ##\sqrt{A^2-x^2}## is supposed to cover.

So if you know that the total energy E is equal to KE alone when x=0 (because this is the point where PE is presumably taken as zero), that should give you an equation.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted