Simple harmonic motion equation form

• Thread starter sam1212
  • Start date

Homework Statement

what is the form of the equation of motion for the SHM of a mass suspended on a spring when the mass is initially (a)released 10 cm above the equilibrium position; (b) given an upward push from the equilibrium position, so that it undergoes a maximum displacement of 8cm; (c) given a downward push from the equilibrium position, so that it undergoes a maximum displacement of 12 cm?

Homework Equations

So I know y= Acos(t*2*pi)/T

The Attempt at a Solution

so would (a) just be y = .10cos t/[square root(m/k)]

Answers and Replies

alphysicist
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

what is the form of the equation of motion for the SHM of a mass suspended on a spring when the mass is initially (a)released 10 cm above the equilibrium position; (b) given an upward push from the equilibrium position, so that it undergoes a maximum displacement of 8cm; (c) given a downward push from the equilibrium position, so that it undergoes a maximum displacement of 12 cm?

Homework Equations

So I know y= Acos(t*2*pi)/T

The Attempt at a Solution

so would (a) just be y = .10cos t/[square root(m/k)]

That looks right to me; you can change the square root and move it around if you like, though (to get it out of the denominator), but since they don't tell you anything about the spring I'm guessing they don't care about how you write the argument of the cosine function.