Simple Harmonic Motion (F=-kx) - Help

In summary: If I pulled the block in the positive x-direction, the Spring Force will act in the negative Direction so the force will be negative. And if was pulling the block in the negative x-direction, the Spring force will act on the opposite direction (the positive direction) so the force will be positive. Am I right?In summary, the block will oscillate in the negative x-direction if you pull it in that direction, and in the positive x-direction if you push it in that direction.
ProgressNation
Simple Harmonic Motion (F=-kx) -- Help!

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen please answer my question:

Q: The formula for Hooke's LAW is Felastic=-kx , so, the "X" is always negative? And the "F" is always negative? I know the "K" is always should be positive but please explain to me because I'm confused which to put negative and which to put positive; I want to understand!

I'm waiting for an answer ASAP!
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a spring with one end fixed to a wall and the other end connected to a block. If you were to pull the block in the positive x-direction, in which direction would the spring force act? If you were instead to push the block in the negative x-direction, in which direction would the spring force act?

Averki said:
Consider a spring with one end fixed to a wall and the other end connected to a block. If you were to pull the block in the positive x-direction, in which direction would the spring force act? If you were instead to push the block in the negative x-direction, in which direction would the spring force act?

If I pulled the block in the positive x-direction, the Spring Force will act in the negative Direction so the force will be negative. And if was pulling the block in the negative x-direction, the Spring force will act on the opposite direction (the positive direction) so the force will be positive. Am I right?

But the problem is that the question doesn't say to you that if the block was pulled either right or left direction like this question:
If a mass of 0.55 KG attached to a vertical spring stretches the spring 2.0 cm from its original equilibrium position, what is the spring constant?

If you notice there is no force in this question so it's Fg=mg
And so on...
So this question only says "stretches the spring 2.0 cm from it's original equilibrium position", it doesn't say it's either right,left,north,south.
So please answer and Thanks for helping!

ProgressNation said:
If I pulled the block in the positive x-direction, the Spring Force will act in the negative Direction so the force will be negative. And if was pulling the block in the negative x-direction, the Spring force will act on the opposite direction (the positive direction) so the force will be positive. Am I right?

Exactly! The spring will always oppose the applied force, in this case being your pulling / pushing the block.

But the problem is that the question doesn't say to you that if the block was pulled either right or left direction like this question:
If a mass of 0.55 KG attached to a vertical spring stretches the spring 2.0 cm from its original equilibrium position, what is the spring constant?

And so on...
So this question only says "stretches the spring 2.0 cm from it's original equilibrium position", it doesn't say it's either right,left,north,south.

While it is true that the problem does not explicitly specify the direction of the stretching, it is implied. If this spring is vertical, presumably with one end of the spring fixed to, say, a ceiling and the other end attached to the 0.55kg block, logically, which direction would the applied force, in this case the force of gravity, stretch the spring?

ProgressNation said:

And so on...

This is a correct way of describing what happens - but it took a lot of words. However, a half dozen symbols plus the all-important minus sign describe it better because you can often solve things once they have been put into a mathematical equation. The minus sign just tells you the force is a 'restoring force' - in a direction which is against the displacement. You need to have the confidence to go into the Maths and believe what comes out. (There are times when you do need to give the mathematical answer a credidbility test, though because it can throw up unreal answers).

The oscillation of a mass on a spring is not affected, in principle, by whether the spring is pre-stressed by the mass hanging down, being pushed up or not under gravity at all as long as the force displacement law is not distorted by extra influences - like the spring coils starting to touch each other.

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. This means that as the object moves away from the equilibrium position, a force is applied in the opposite direction, causing the object to return to its original position. The equation that describes this motion is F=-kx, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

2. What is the significance of the equation F=-kx?

The equation F=-kx is significant because it represents the relationship between the restoring force and the displacement in Simple Harmonic Motion. It tells us that the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement, and the constant of proportionality is the spring constant, k. This equation is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in SHM.

3. How does Simple Harmonic Motion differ from other types of motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is different from other types of motion because it is a periodic motion with a constant amplitude and frequency. Other types of motion, such as linear or circular motion, do not have a constant restoring force and therefore do not exhibit the same behavior as SHM. Additionally, SHM only occurs when the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement, which is not the case for all types of motion.

4. What factors affect the period of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period of Simple Harmonic Motion is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the motion. The period is also influenced by external factors, such as friction and air resistance. In general, a larger mass or a larger amplitude will result in a longer period, while a larger spring constant will result in a shorter period.

5. How is Simple Harmonic Motion used in real-world applications?

Simple Harmonic Motion has many real-world applications, including in the fields of engineering, physics, and biology. It is used in the design of mechanical and electrical systems, such as pendulums, springs, and oscillating circuits. SHM is also observed in the motion of molecules, atoms, and other particles, and is used to understand the behavior of these systems. In biology, SHM is seen in the motion of cilia and flagella, as well as in the beating of the heart.