Simple Harmonic Motion formula

In summary, the formula for the distance traveled by an object in Simple Harmonic Motion is s=4AN=4At/T, where s represents the distance traveled, A is the amplitude, N is the number of cycles, t is the time, and T is the period. This formula holds true for all values of N, including fractional values, as long as N is equal to or greater than 0. This is because in SHM, the amplitude is constant and each subsequent cycle will be the same as the first. The period T is the time taken for one cycle, and the number of cycles N can be calculated by dividing the total time t by T. It is important to note that for the formula to hold true,
raven101
Hi. I've got a problem here about Simple Harmonic Motion. There is "formula" in our physics coursebook for the distance traveled by an object : s=4AN=4At/T
s-distance travelled
A-amplitude
N-number of cycles
t-time
T-period

Is it true for every case or just for N=1, 2 , 3 ?
I guess it is true for N=1, 2 , 3 but not sure, can u explain it please?

P.S Sorry for mistakes during translation

Physics news on Phys.org
The ultimate challenge to you here is to derive the formula!

What is the distance traveled by an object in 1 complete cycle or period (i.e. t = T)? Describe this in terms of the oscillation amplitude.

Then go for two, and three?

In SHM the amplitude is constant, so yes it is true for all N and indeed any fractional value of N (i.e. a half cycle covers a distance of 2A), assuming it is actual distance traveled rather than displacement being measured and s = 0 and N = 0 at t = 0.

As for why it is true, consider an oscillator at equilibrium at t = 0. It will travel as far as it can from equilbrium (its amplitude, so s = A), then back down to equilibrium (A again, so total s = 2A), then its amplitude in the other direction (total s = 3A), then back to equilibrium (total s = 4A) making a cycle (N = 1). In SHM, each subsequent cycle will be the same as the 1st, so the total distance traveled will be 4A times the number of cycles.

The period T is the time taken to go through one cycle, so the total time taken t divided by T will tell you how many cycles have occurred, hence N = t/T.

Why did you think N = 1, 2, 3 would be special?

In SHM "v" and "a" are not constant so i thought it is not true to find distance for example in t=T/6 T/5 and so on

Do you know any site or other source hat i could get more information about this?

raven101 said:
In SHM "v" and "a" are not constant so i thought it is not true to find distance for example in t=T/6 T/5 and so on
Actually, yes you're right. The right-hand side is only true for values of t that are multiples of T/4. However, this will always be the case for integer values of N, or even multiples of N/4, assuming N = 0 and s = 0 when t = 0. Sorry, I was focusing more on s = 4AN.

1. What is the formula for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The formula for Simple Harmonic Motion is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x represents the displacement from the equilibrium position, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase angle.

2. What is the significance of the amplitude in the Simple Harmonic Motion formula?

The amplitude, represented by A, is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position. It determines the size of the oscillations and is an important factor in understanding the behavior of a system in Simple Harmonic Motion.

3. How is the angular frequency related to the period of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period, T, of Simple Harmonic Motion is the time it takes for one complete oscillation. The angular frequency, ω, is defined as 2π/T. Therefore, the angular frequency is inversely proportional to the period.

4. Can the Simple Harmonic Motion formula be applied to real world systems?

Yes, the Simple Harmonic Motion formula can be applied to many real world systems such as a mass attached to a spring, a pendulum, or a vibrating guitar string. However, in reality, there may be additional factors that affect the motion and the formula may need to be modified.

5. How is the phase angle determined in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The phase angle, φ, is determined by the initial conditions of the system. It represents the position of the oscillating object at time t = 0. It can be calculated by using the displacement and velocity at a specific time or by using trigonometric ratios.