1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion (Mass on a Spring)

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Simple Harmonic Motion (Mass on a Spring)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solid cylinder of mass M= 10.8 kg is attached to a horizontal massless spring so that it can roll without slipping along a horizontal surface, as shown in the Figure. The force constant of the spring is k= 346 N/m. The system is released from rest at a position in which the spring is stretched by a distance x= 17.0 cm. What is the translational kinetic energy of the cylinder when it passes through the equilibrium position? What about the rotational KE?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/amenochikara/prob02a.gif

2. Relevant equations
    Translational Energy-.5mv^2
    Rotational Energy- .5Iw^2
    Angular Velocity (spring)- sqrt(k/m)

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright... I only have this problem left and it's frustrating me. For the first part, I used translational Energy for a spring (.5kx^2), but I am not taking the mass into account. All the example problems we were given have amplitudes and other useful things to use to compute velocity. So, I moved onto what I thought would be the easier one, rotational. For this, I tried using .5(r^2)(k) when I realized, much to my dismay, that I had no radius for the cylinder. Any alternative ways I am not thinking of? Thanks so much.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2008 #2
    You actually don't need radius of cylinder. At the begining you have just energy of spring
    0.5kx^2 , that equals sum of rotational and translational energy in equilibrium position. The you should know that

[tex] \omega =v/r ~,~E_t=0.5mv^2~,~E_r=0.5I~\omega^2 [/tex]

Now since I for cylinder is 0.5mr^2 , r falls out. You have only equation for v then.

4. Apr 19, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much!

5. Dec 1, 2010 #4
    Re: [SOLVED] Simple Harmonic Motion (Mass on a Spring)

Can someone please explain to me where the formulas are coming from for translational energy, etc?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?