Simple Harmonic Motion of a spring

In summary, a hanging spring with a 450g weight at rest stretches by 35.0cm. Using this information, the spring constant k can be found using the equation k/m = g/δ. The position of the object can be determined using the equation x(t)= Acos(ωt+φ) and the given information that the object is pulled down an additional 18.0cm and released from rest.
mickellowery

Homework Statement

A hanging spring stretches by 35.0cm when an object of mass 450g is hung on it at rest. In this situation we define its position as x=0. The object is pulled down an additional 18.0cm and released from rest to oscillate without friction. What is its position x at a moment 84.4s later?

Homework Equations

x(t)= Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\Phi[/tex])
[tex]\omega[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to use these two equations, but I don't know k. So I was thinking that I need to use the information that a 450g weight stretches the spring 35.0cm to find the spring constant k. I just wasn't sure how to do that. I was thinking I should just multiply 450 by 35 and divide by 9.8 because it is hanging, but this didn't work for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
mickellowery said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to use these two equations, but I don't know k. So I was thinking that I need to use the information that a 450g weight stretches the spring 35.0cm to find the spring constant k.

Yes, good. So the weight would be equal to the force of the spring. So kδ=mg meaning that k/m = g/δ.

ω=√(k/m)

Then you have x(t)= Acos(ωt+φ)

They tell you they stretch it 18 cm and then release, so what is x(0) and x'(0) ?

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of oscillatory motion in which an object moves back and forth in a regular pattern, with a constant period and amplitude. It is caused by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. How does a spring exhibit Simple Harmonic Motion?

A spring exhibits Simple Harmonic Motion when it is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position. The restoring force of the spring is provided by Hooke's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring.

3. What are the key characteristics of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The key characteristics of Simple Harmonic Motion include a constant period, a sinusoidal displacement, and a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement. The motion also repeats itself indefinitely as long as there is no external force acting on the system.

4. How is the period of Simple Harmonic Motion related to the mass and spring constant?

The period of Simple Harmonic Motion is directly proportional to the mass and inversely proportional to the spring constant. This means that a heavier mass or a stiffer spring will result in a longer period of oscillation.

5. What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some common examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include the motion of a pendulum, the back-and-forth motion of a swing, and the vibration of a guitar string. Other examples include the motion of a mass attached to a spring, the motion of a tuning fork, and the motion of a car's suspension system.