1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple Harmonic Motion of a spring

1. Jun 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hanging spring stretches by 35.0cm when an object of mass 450g is hung on it at rest. In this situation we define its position as x=0. The object is pulled down an additional 18.0cm and released from rest to oscillate without friction. What is its position x at a moment 84.4s later?

2. Relevant equations
    x(t)= Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\Phi[/tex])
    [tex]\omega[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I need to use these two equations, but I don't know k. So I was thinking that I need to use the information that a 450g weight stretches the spring 35.0cm to find the spring constant k. I just wasn't sure how to do that. I was thinking I should just multiply 450 by 35 and divide by 9.8 because it is hanging, but this didn't work for me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes, good. So the weight would be equal to the force of the spring. So kδ=mg meaning that k/m = g/δ.

ω=√(k/m)

Then you have x(t)= Acos(ωt+φ)

They tell you they stretch it 18 cm and then release, so what is x(0) and x'(0) ?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook