1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law and simple harmonic motion

1. Jun 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two identical particles, each having a charge of +q are fixed in space and separated by a distance d. A third particle with charge -Q is free to move and lies initially at rest on the perpendicular bisector of the two fixed charges a distance x from the midpoint between the two fixed charges. Show that if x is small compared with d, the motion of -Q is simple harmonic along the perpendicular bisector. Determine the period of that motion. How fast will the charge -Q be moving when it is at the midpoint between the two fixed charges if it is initially released at a distance a << d from the midpoint?

2. Relevant equations
    Fe= ke[tex]\frac{(q_1)(q_2)}{r^2}[/tex]
    -kx=max I'm not completely sure if I need this one, but the problem wants me to show that -Q is simple harmonic so I was thinking that I might need to set these equal to each other somehow, but I'm absolutely lost as to where to go.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe your interim goal is to show that the net force is proportional to x, for small x. Because if that's the case, the force resembles that of a spring (force being proportional to x).

I suggest first finding the equation for the net force on -Q. (First without making any assumptions.)

Secondly, once you have your net force equation, make the assumption that x is small compared to d. See what happens. :wink:

4. Jun 29, 2010 #3

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook