1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion Pendulum

1. Apr 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small sphere with mass m is attached to a massless rod of length L that is pivoted at the top, forming a simple pendulum. The pendulum is pulled to one side so that the rod is at an angle θ from the vertical, and released from rest.

When the pendulum rod is vertical, what is the linear speed of the sphere? Express your answer in terms of g, θ, L.

2. Relevant equations

[itex] a = \frac{v^2}{r}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to derive acceleration at this point. I know that

[itex] mg-T=ma [/itex]

and that you could insert the acceleration derived here for the centripetal acceleration equation to derive velocity

But otherwise I'm kind of lost

[itex] \sqrt(aL) = v [/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you use Conservation of Energy ?

4. Apr 27, 2014 #3
    From your title, I gather that this is a Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) problem. If so, angle ##\theta## must be small. Also, the problem asks you to find the linear SPEED of the sphere, not the acceleration.

I would begin by reviewing the formulas for a simple pendulum, comparing them with the formulas for a solid pendulum, and seeing how such formulas are derived. Can you list some viable formulas?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted