Simple harmonic motion period with velocity defined

In summary, the period of a simple harmonic motion (SHM) is given by T=2π√((A^2-L^2)/vL)), where A is the amplitude, L is the distance from equilibrium, and vL is the speed at that point. By substituting the values of x and v from the equations for SHM, it is possible to relate them and solve for the period. This can also be done using the conservation of energy equation, resulting in a formula for k that includes the mass, speed, and amplitude of the motion.
PeterRV

Homework Statement

A mass m is sliding back and forth in a simple harmonic motion (SHM) with an amplitude A on a horizontal frictionless surface. At a point a distance L away from equilibrium, the speed of the plate is vL (vL is larger than zero).

Homework Equations

What is the period of the SHM?

The Attempt at a Solution

a_x=-kx/m -> vX= (-kx^2)/(2m)
k = (-vX*2m)/(x^2)
T=2π*√(m/k)=2π*√(m/((-vX*2m)/(x^2))
T=2π√((-x^2)/vX))
Filling in point at distance L from equilibrium, I get:

T=2π√((-L^2)/vL))

The correct answer is T=2π√((A^2-L^2)/vL)), but I cannot imagine where the A^2 comes from.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
For simple harmonic motion,
x=Asin(wt+Φ)
and v=dx/dt = Awcos(wt+Φ)

Can you try relating x and v somehow?

erisedk said:
For simple harmonic motion,
x=Asin(wt+Φ)
and v=dx/dt = Awcos(wt+Φ)

Can you try relating x and v somehow?

Yes, x=∫vdt, or is that not what you meant with relating x and v?

Nope, I meant try substituting the value of (wt+Φ) from the first equation into the second one.

erisedk said:
Nope, I meant try substituting the value of (wt+Φ) from the first equation into the second one.
I am terribly sorry, but my native language is not English and I do not know what you mean with the value of (wt+Φ). I do not have the frequency in the data?

(wt+Φ) = arcsin(x/A)
What is cos(wt+Φ)?
After figuring out cos(wt+Φ), substitute it into v=Awcos(wt+Φ). You'll get an expression that relates x and v.

Ik think you have to apply conservation of energy, it will result in:
1/2*k*L^2 + 1/2*m*v^2=1/2*k*A^2
k =(m*v^2)/(A^2 -L^2)

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth along a straight line, with its acceleration proportional to its displacement from a fixed point. This type of motion is characterized by a constant period and amplitude.

What is the period of simple harmonic motion?

The period of simple harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion to occur. It is determined by the mass of the object, the force applied to it, and the stiffness of the system. The period is calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.

How is velocity defined in simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the velocity of the object at any given point is defined as the rate of change of its displacement with respect to time. It can be calculated using the formula v = -Aωsin(ωt), where v is the velocity, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and t is the time.

What is the relationship between period and velocity in simple harmonic motion?

The period and velocity of an object in simple harmonic motion are inversely proportional. This means that as the period increases, the velocity decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be seen in the formula v = -Aωsin(ωt), where ω is directly related to the period.

What factors affect the period and velocity in simple harmonic motion?

The period and velocity of an object in simple harmonic motion can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the force applied to it, and the stiffness of the system. Changes in any of these factors can alter the period and velocity of the motion.