1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion Question (Springs)

1. May 12, 2015 #1
    • Warning: Missing Formatting Template.
    A 350-g mass is attached to a spring whose spring constant is 64 N/m. Its maximum acceleration is 5.3 m/s2. What is its maximum speed?

So, i had a go at the question which basically required the knowledge that maximum acceleration occurs when displacement is maximum and maximum velocity occurs when displacement is zero.

So, i used the formula that acceleration = -w^2 [x(t)]....... getting the result that......... 5.3 = -w^2[x(t)] and solved for x(t) using the fact that w^2 = k/m.. therefore getting that maximum displacement = 0.028984375m. Does anyone know where i can go from here to get the maximum speed?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2015 #2
    There is a relation between the spring energy when the mass is at its maximum displacement, and the kinetic energy of the mass when the spring is not exerting a force on the mass. Use this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted