Simple Harmonic Motion Question

In summary, the weight of mass on a string exerts a force equal to xk that tends to reduce x, where k is the spring constant and x is the distance from the equilibrium position of the spring. The relationship between k, m, and w^2 is written as w^2 = (-mg - xk) / x.
theneedtoknow

Homework Statement

A weight of mass m is placed on a string. as a result it exerts a force equal to xk that tends to reduce x, where k is the spring constand and x is the distance from the equilibrium position of the spring.

1. Confirm that x = Asin(wt+ f) is indeed a solution of theequation of SHM. (given below)
2. Write down the relationship between k, m, and w^2.

Homework Equations

d^2 / dt ^ 2 = -w^2 * x

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Well i got this part by differentiating x = Asin(wt+f) and indeed it is a solution

I have no idea how to do this part...
All i can think of is that at the peaks and troughs of oscillation a is zero so the forces mg and xk must be equal but that doesn't really help me relate them in general

Physics news on Phys.org
Think in terms of Newton's second law of motion.

Well I'm tryin to...but not sure how...
Fnet = mg + xk = ma

(ma - mg) / k = x

well this is tthe relationship between m and k and... I doubt its even right... and i have no idea how to go to relate to w^2 of all things

How did the mg come in?

Anyway, Fnet is also equal to m(d2x/dt2).

d^x / dt^2 = a(t) right?
so would it be f = ma
so Fnet = m * d^2/dt^2?

crap, i misread the first time lol

Last edited:
theneedtoknow said:
Well isn't mg the force of gravity on the mass?
So the enet force would be force of gravity + resporing force Fnet = mg + xk

It is not mentioned that the spring is hanging vertically. You must therefore assume that is placed on a smooth horizontal surface. In that case, the force due to gravity and the normal force due to the surface cancel each other.

And how come Fnet = d^2/dt^2? I am missing the link between the two , can you help me out to relate them?
Please look at the equation I typed once more. If it is still not clear, read your textbook (on Newton's second law).

cause if Fnet is indeed equal to that, then the relationship should be

mg + xk = -w^2x and then i guess the final relationship between those would be

k = (-w^2x - mg )/x
m = (-w^2x - xk ) / g
w^2 = (-mg - xk )/ x

or...no?
No.

OK so then for a horizontal string :
kx = -mw^2x
so they are related by

k = -mw^2 (i think)

But can you help me figure out what the answer would be with a vertical spring as well cause now I am curious...
Would it be mg + xk = -mw^2x?

theneedtoknow said:
OK so then for a horizontal string :
kx = -mw^2x

There is a rather important detail missing.

But can you help me figure out what the answer would be with a vertical spring as well cause now I am curious...
Would it be mg + xk = -mw^2x?
Again, the same detail is missing here. But as it turns out, the relation between these three quantities (omega, k and m) is the same no matter how the spring is oriented. This of course assumes ideal conditions, such as a negligible mass for the spring, etc.

is it that its a restorive force so it shud be k = mw^2?

theneedtoknow said:
is it that its a restorive force so it shud be k = mw^2?

Exactly.

ahhh excellent thanks a lot for all the help

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion that occurs when a restoring force is applied to an object and the object moves back and forth around an equilibrium position. The motion is characterized by a sinusoidal pattern and can be found in various systems such as pendulums, springs, and waves.

What are the factors that affect Simple Harmonic Motion?

The factors that affect Simple Harmonic Motion are the mass of the object, the spring constant of the restoring force, and the amplitude of the motion. These factors determine the frequency and period of the motion.

What is the difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Uniform Circular Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion involves an object moving back and forth in a straight line, while Uniform Circular Motion involves an object moving in a circular path at a constant speed. In SHM, the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium, while in Uniform Circular Motion, the force is directed towards the center of the circle.

What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x(t) = A*cos(ωt+φ), where x(t) is the displacement from equilibrium at time t, A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include the motion of a mass attached to a spring, the swing of a pendulum, and the vibration of a guitar string. Other examples include the motion of atoms in a crystal lattice and the motion of a piston in a car engine.