1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion - seemingly easy yet

1. Dec 1, 2005 #1
    The function x = (2.0 m) cos[(2pi rad/s)t + pi/2 rad] gives the simple harmonic motion of a body. Find the following values at t = 4.0 s.
    (a) the displacement: ____m
    Correct me if I am wrong, but to get x all I have to do is just plug 4.0 s in for t in that equation mentioned above right? I set my calculator to radians and did what I just said and get 6E^-13, but for some reason webassign (website where I answer the problem at) says I'm wrong. What gives?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's all there is to it.
    You made a mistake. What angle (in radians) are you taking the cosine of?

4. Dec 1, 2005 #3
    Oh I'm sorry, I forgot to include the pi in the equation.

5. Dec 1, 2005 #4

Doc Al

So I assume you corrected your mistake?

6. Dec 1, 2005 #5
    Oh I haven't, I just forgot to include it when I posted the problem. I still do not understand why I am not getting the right answer when all I have to do is plug in 4.0 for T.

7. Dec 1, 2005 #6

mezarashi

Homework Helper

I think if you just take a look at the trigonometric function itself, it should be no surprise to you that any integer value of t will result in the cosine function returning 0.

8. Dec 2, 2005 #7

Doc Al

mezarashi explained it, but your real mistake is using a calculator to solve this. :smile: If you just looked at the equation, you'd see that plugging in T = 4 sec gives you an angle of pi/2 radians. What's the cosine of pi/2 radians (or 90 degrees)? (Note that 8 1/2 pi radians is equivalent to pi/2 radians since the trig functions are periodic over 2 pi radians.)

Your calculator answer was "correct": 6E^-13 is pretty close to zero! (Round it off.)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  9. Dec 2, 2005 #8
    And pi/2 for cos is 0.......yes you're right, the calculator did mess me up in this case. Thank you for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?