Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion solution problem

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    I've been going through and proving to myself that the solution to the SHM equation is correct; at A level we were just told what it was but never really shown why.

I've gone through the problem as a standard 2nd Order ODE (with complex roots of course) and ended up at:

[tex] x = A_{real} cos(\omega t) - A_{im} sin(\omega t) [/tex]

But the form I want (as the one were were given) is [tex] Bsin(\omega t + \phi) [/tex]

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SimpleHarmonicMotion.html seems to imply that you can get:
    [tex] B cos(\phi) = A_{real}[/tex]
    [tex] B sin(\phi) = A_{im} [/tex]

Which then allows use of a trigonometric identity to get it to cos (still not quite what I want but you can just put an extra pi/2 into the phi and make it sin). Is this always the case? Can you always find values of B and [tex]\phi[/tex] which will allow this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]sin(x+ y)= sin(x)cos(y)+ cos(x)sin(y) is the trigonometric identity you refer to. Of course, we must have [itex]sin^2(x)+ cos^2(x)= 1[/itex] but what you can do is this:

Given [itex]A_{real} cos(\omega t)+ A_{imag}sin(\omega t)[/itex], if [itex]\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ A^2_{imag}}\ne 1[/itex], factor that out:
    [itex]\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}\left(\frac{A_{real}}{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}cos(\omega t)+ \frac{A_{imag}}{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}sin(\omega t)\right)[/itex].

And, now, because [itex]\left(\frac{A_{real}}{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}\right)^2+ \frac{A_{imag}}{\frac{A_{real}}{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}}= 1[/itex], we can find [itex]\phi[/itex] such that [itex]cos(\phi)= \frac{A_{real}}{\frac{A_{real}}{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}}[/itex] and [itex]sin(\phi)= \frac{A_{imag}}{\frac{A_{real}}{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}}[/itex] and thus,
    [tex]A_{real}cos(\omega t)+ A_{imag}sin(\omega t)=\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ A^2_{imag}}\left( sin(\phi)cos(\omega t)+ cos(\phi)sin(\omega t)\right)= \sqrt{A^2_{real}+ A^2_{imag}}sin(\omega t+ \phi)[/itex]

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  4. May 10, 2009 #3
    Ah, that brings back memories from A level actually; let me see if I've got this right.

Let,
    [tex]\]
    Acos(\theta) + Bsin(\theta) = Rsin(\theta + \phi)\\
    \therefore Acos(\theta) + Bsin(\theta)=Rcos(\theta)sin(\phi) + Rsin(\theta)cos(\phi)\\
    \therefore A = Rsin(\phi), B= Rcos(\phi)\\
    \therefore R = sqrt{A^2 + B^2}, \phi=arctan(A/B)\\
    \[[/tex]

Last edited: May 10, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook