An object oscillating in simple harmonic motion

In summary, the object oscillates in simple harmonic motion with a period of 3.6 seconds and a maximum velocity of 1.2 m/s when passing through the central position. The maximum amplitude is approximately 0.69 m and the maximum acceleration is approximately 2.1 m/s^2. However, the given solutions of A=2.8 m and a_max=0.52 m/s^2 do not match the given information and suggest a period of 14.4 seconds. This can be corrected by specifying that the object reaches a maximum speed of 1.2 m/s whenever it passes through the central position.
lorenz0
Homework Statement
An object oscillates in simple harmonic motion, reaching a maximum velocity of ##1.2m/s## whenever it passes through the central position, which occurs every ##3.6s##.
Find the amplitude and maximum acceleration of the harmonic motion.
Relevant Equations
##v_{max}=\omega A##, ##a_{max}=\omega^2 A##, ##\omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}##
Since it passes through the origin every ##3.6s## the period is ##T=3.6s## hence ##\omega=\frac{2\pi}{\omega}=\frac{2\pi}{3.6}\frac{rad}{s}## thus ##A=\frac{v_{max}}{\omega}=\frac{1.2}{\frac{2\pi}{3.6}}m\simeq 0.69m## and ##a_{max}=\omega^2 A=(\frac{2\pi}{T})^2 A=(\frac{2\pi}{3.6})^2 \cdot 0.69\simeq 2.1\frac{m}{s^2}##.

What I have done makes sense to me so I don't understand why the solutions to this problem state that ##A=2.8m## and ##a_{max}=0.52\frac{m}{s^2}##. Comment are welcome, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
lorenz0 said:
Since it passes through the origin every ##3.6s## the period is ##T=3.6s##
It passes through the origin twice per period!

Likes lorenz0
Start with a sketch of a generic SHM and label the times of the zero-crossings:

1638717577675.png

Likes lorenz0
lorenz0 said:
What I have done makes sense to me so I don't understand why the solutions to this problem state that ##A=2.8m## and ##a_{max}=0.52\frac{m}{s^2}##. Comment are welcome, thanks.
These don't look right to me. Especially the acceleration, which looks very low.

lorenz0 said:
To get those answers you need the period to be ##14.4s##.

PeroK said:
It passes through the origin twice per period!
Ah, I understand my mistake now, thanks!

lorenz0 said:
Homework Statement:: An object oscillates in simple harmonic motion, reaching a maximum velocity of ##1.2m/s## whenever it passes through the central position, which occurs every ##3.6s##.
That's a poorly worded statement. The oscillator will pass through the central position twice per period, but will have a maximum velocity only once per period. The statement can be fixed by specifying that it reaches a maximum speed of 1.2 m/s whenever it passes through the central position.

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point, with a constant amplitude and a constant period.

What causes an object to oscillate in simple harmonic motion?

An object oscillates in simple harmonic motion when it is acted upon by a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium point. This can be seen in systems such as a mass on a spring or a pendulum.

What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from the equilibrium point, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. This equation can also be written as x = A cos(ωt + φ) or x = A sin(ωt) if the object starts at the equilibrium point.

What is the relationship between frequency and period in simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of an object in simple harmonic motion is equal to the inverse of its period, or f = 1/T. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa.

What is the relationship between mass and amplitude in simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of an object in simple harmonic motion is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass increases, the amplitude also increases, and vice versa.