Simple Harmonic Motion - Speed

In summary, the problem asks for the speed of a block in simple harmonic motion (SHM) as it moves through equilibrium position. Given the values of k = 45.08248265 N/m, m = 0.505 kg, and T = 0.665 s, the equation used is w = √(k/m) which yields an angular velocity of 9.45 rad/s. However, this is not the speed, but rather the angular velocity. The problem does not contain enough information to determine the speed.
Jess_18033152

Homework Statement

Calculate the speed of the block in SHM as it moves through equilibrium position.

k= 45.08248265 N/m
m of block = 0.505kg
T = 0.665s

Homework Equations

w= the square root of (k/m) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

w = the square root of (45.08248265/0.505)
= 9.448398958
= 9.45 (what units for SHM?) (3sf)

Is this the equation I use? And what are the units for speed when in SHM?

Physics news on Phys.org
The quantity w is not a speed, it is an angular velocity. You should be able to deduce its units from how it is constructed.

Also, the problem does not contain sufficient information to give you the requested information.

Orodruin said:
The quantity w is not a speed, it is an angular velocity. You should be able to deduce its units from how it is constructed.

Also, the problem does not contain sufficient information to give you the requested information.
What equation would you suggest I use then?

Jess_18033152 said:
What equation would you suggest I use then?
For what?

Orodruin said:
For what?
To calculate speed for an object in SHM as it moves through equilibrium position, given m of object= 0.505kg, k= 45.08248265, T (period) = 0.665s ?

As I already said, you cannot.

Orodruin said:
As I already said, you cannot.

Sorry, worked out how to do it now, it required me using the kinetic energy I had worked out in the previous question. Thank you though :)

Jess_18033152 said:
Sorry, worked out how to do it now, it required me using the kinetic energy I had worked out in the previous question. Thank you though :)
So, for the future, please give the full problem statement as required by the homework guidelines. You cannot expect us to guess information that you are not giving us.

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point due to a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. How is speed related to Simple Harmonic Motion?

In Simple Harmonic Motion, the speed of the object is constantly changing as it moves back and forth. The speed is greatest at the equilibrium points and decreases to zero at the maximum displacement points.

3. What is the formula for calculating speed in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The formula for calculating speed in Simple Harmonic Motion is: v = ω√(A^2 - x^2), where v is the speed, ω is the angular frequency, A is the amplitude, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium point.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the speed in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The mass of the object does not affect the speed in Simple Harmonic Motion. The speed is only dependent on the amplitude and the displacement from the equilibrium point.

5. Can the speed in Simple Harmonic Motion ever exceed the speed of sound?

No, the speed in Simple Harmonic Motion is limited by the amplitude and displacement of the object and cannot exceed the speed of sound. The speed of sound is a constant and cannot be exceeded by any type of motion.