Simple Harmonic Motion, Velocity at a certain time

In summary, when solving for the first time after t=0.00s at which the velocity is -0.100 m/s in a simple harmonic motion problem, it is important to take into account the periodic nature of the sine function. This may require adding a period (2π) to the equation in order to find the correct solution. Additionally, it is important to check for any extraneous solutions that may arise from the periodic nature of the function.
indietro

Homework Statement

The velocity of an object in simple harmonic motion is given by v(t)= -(0.347 m/s)sin(15.0t + 2.00π), where t is in seconds. What is the first time after t=0.00 s at which the velocity is -0.100 m/s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

-0.1 = -(0.347)sin(15t + 2[tex]\pi[/tex])
0.2882 = sin(15t + 2[tex]\pi[/tex])
15t = arcsin(0.2882) - 2[tex]\pi[/tex]
t = -0.39939 s

- its a neg time so i thought just adding 2[tex]\pi[/tex] would take me to the same point on graph but the positive side : 0.4284 s <-- still the wrong answer

so I am not too sure where I am going wrong.. maybe its just my algebra or is it the whole approach to the question?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
can some one just confirm my algebra, because I am pretty sure it is just a calculation error...? greatly appreciated thanks!

the sine function is periodic! what does that say about the 2 pi?

0.2882 is correct.

1) you say that its v(t) = -vmax sin(15t+2π) Why this 2π becomes 2^π?
2) sin(0.297)= 0.288

So 15t+2π= 2kπ + 0.297 or
15t + 2π = 2kπ + π - 0.297

3) I hope I am right about the numbers.. Your teacher REALLY hates you..

so to get the right answer i had to add the negative value i got for the time to the period.
T = 2[tex]\pi[/tex] / [tex]\omega[/tex] = 0.41888

T + t = 0.0195 s ** and this is the right answer

But can someone explain why I had to add it to one cycle (one period) ??

Look inside your sine. It is 15t+2p. That means that for t=0 you have sin2p. That implies the body has already finished one period of motion which is not true ( or it is but you started measuring time after 1 period).

think that sin(wt+a) (where a is an angle)

when a =2p that means that before you started timing the body has already completed 1 period.
That is the point of the angle there.
Consider an a= 3p/2 that means that the initital position is not the equillibrium so in order to have the results wrt to x=o we needed that angle.

Now Consider why you find the negative time.. 1) sin(15t+2p)=sin15t ( so you didnt have to evenr write 2p
2) I can't understand why you use arcsin. Also when you have sin(15t+2p)= sin(0.297) <=>
15t+2p= 2kp + 0.297 or 15t+2p=2kp+p-0.297.

3) you need to add a period because you started the timing a period after it started moving. And even if you didnt the +2p implies it. It s better to get rid of it ( because you can ) and solve for t and the same result will pop up.

Hope didnt confuse you more.

Here is a simple example. Suppose you need to solve:

sin(x) = 0.5​

So of course we take the arcsin,

x = arcsin(0.5) = π/6 (i.e. 30°)​

And, of course, we can add integer multiples of 2π to get all possible solutions.

But wait a minute ... 5π/6 (i.e. 150°) has a sine of 0.5 also, so that is another solution to the equation. But 5π/6 does not come from adding 2π to π/6, does it?

So where does the extra solution 5π/6 come from? It is because there are two distinct angles that have a sine of 0.5.

v(t)= -(0.347 m/s)sin(15.0t + 2.00π) is equal to v(t)= -(0.347 m/s)sin(15.0t). Now attempt to solve it in the same way as before and you will get t=0.0195s which is the correct answer.

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of repetitive motion in which a system oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point due to a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. How is the velocity of an object in SHM calculated at a certain time?

The velocity of an object in SHM can be calculated at a certain time by taking the derivative of the displacement equation with respect to time. This will give the instantaneous velocity at that time.

3. What is the relationship between the amplitude and velocity in SHM?

The amplitude and velocity in SHM are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the amplitude increases, the velocity decreases and vice versa.

4. Can the velocity of an object in SHM ever be negative?

Yes, the velocity of an object in SHM can be negative. This occurs when the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial displacement, towards the equilibrium point.

5. How does the frequency of SHM affect the velocity of an object at a certain time?

The frequency of SHM does not directly affect the velocity of an object at a certain time. However, a higher frequency means that the object will complete more cycles in a given time, resulting in a higher average velocity over that time period.