In summary, to find the probability density function of a simple harmonic oscillator, we use the equation dP = 2*dt/T and integrate it from -A to A, where A is the amplitude. This gives us a distribution with two poles at the amplitudes and a pi somewhere in the formula. We can also use the trigonometric functions x(t) = Acos(ωt) and v(t) = -Aωsin(ωt) to find v(x) and then integrate to get the probability distribution. However, we may run into issues with negative probabilities when using this method. Further exploration and analysis is needed to find a more accurate probability density function.
trelek2
How to find the probability density function of a simple harmonic oscillator? I know that for one normal node is should be a parabola but what is the formula and how do we derive it?

Physics news on Phys.org
trelek2 said:
How to find the probability density function of a simple harmonic oscillator? I know that for one normal node is should be a parabola but what is the formula and how do we derive it?

Probability is equal to the time spent in interval (x,x+dx) normed to total time it takes mass to run through entire available x space ( from -A to A, A is amplitude ). So you have

dP = 2*dt/T .

Take your dt from energy conservation law ( v = dx/dt ! ) and integrate from -A to A. IIRC your distribution should have two poles at amplitudes, maybe some pi somewhere ... don't know, do your math =) Let us know what have you found!

edit:
Your integration limits should not be from -A to A but over the range where you want to calculate probability of finding your mass! Upper integral will give you 1, of course.

Last edited:
You will find that although the particle average position is zero, the most of the time it spends at the ends where its velocity is small.

Bob.

I know that, I was more curious about the function p(x)...

I'm struggling with the same problem here. Trying to find the probability density function for a simple harmonic oscillator.

I'm having trouble deriving P from the information suggested here.

It was suggested that we should use:

dP = 2*dt/T

and the fact that

v = dx/dt

Now we have:

x(t) = Acos(ωt)

and

v(t) = -Aωsin(ωt)

Now if we integrate dP we get

P = int( 2/(T*v) dx)

But since I only have v(t), but not v(x), I'm not sure how to go about this.

I know that a(x) = -ω2x

but I'm not sure if that can be of any aid?

Anyone have a clue?

regards
Frímann

dreamspy said:

Now if we integrate dP we get

P = int( 2/(T*v) dx)

But since I only have v(t), but not v(x), I'm not sure how to go about this.

dx=vdt so P =2 int(dt)/T = 1.

Bob_for_short said:
dx=vdt so P =2 int(dt)/T = 1.

Which is what we started with ( dp = 2 dt/T ), with normalization added: P(-infinity < x < +infinity) = 1

But I'm supposed to find P as a function of x, which probably looks something like a parabola. Now isn't it neccesarry for me to substitute that dt with dx/v ?

Then I would need to define v as a function of x, right?

Regards
Frímann Kjerúlf

dreamspy said:
Now we have:

x(t) = Acos(ωt) and v(t) = -Aωsin(ωt)

Maybe Asin(ωt) = A[1-cos2(ωt)]1/2 = A[1-x2/A2]1/2, so you obtain v(x)?

Bob_for_short said:
Maybe Asin(ωt) = A[1-cos2(ωt)]1/2 = A[1-x2/A2]1/2, so you obtain v(x)?

Thats seems to be about right, although I don't understand how you got there :)

I got the same results doing:

Isolate x:

x(t) = Acos(ωt) => t(x) = arccos(x/A)/ω

differentiate t(x):

dt/dx = 1 / (A^2 - x^2)^1/2

which is equal to 1/v :

v(x)= dx/dt = (A^2 - x^2)^1/2

which is the same result you got.

Frímann

I used the trigonometry, but your way is also right.

What is about a Probability density to find particle with amplitude A or -A?

Near point A and -A.

Last edited:
I tried to solve for the functional form of the probability.
I set A = w = 1 and ignored 2/T for simplicity.

So, probability of finding oscillator at position x is proportional to the amount of time it spends at every dx---

i.e
Prob. prop to ...
int(dt) = int(dx/v)

v(x) = 1/(1-x^2)^1/2 (*There's two ways to get this--see post #8 and #9*)

Integration of 1/(1-x^2)^1/2 dx

yields Arcsin(x), which is negative when x is negative--->doesn't make sense as a probability distribution.

Any thoughts?

1. What is a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a system that exhibits periodic motion, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. This type of motion can be seen in systems such as a mass-spring system or a pendulum.

2. What is the equation for a simple harmonic oscillator?

The equation for a simple harmonic oscillator is F = -kx, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

3. How is the probability density function related to a simple harmonic oscillator?

The probability density function for a simple harmonic oscillator describes the probability of finding the oscillator at a certain position or energy state. It is directly related to the wave function, which represents the amplitude of the oscillation at a given point in space and time.

4. How does the amplitude affect the probability density function for a simple harmonic oscillator?

The amplitude of a simple harmonic oscillator does not affect the overall shape of the probability density function, but it does affect the maximum probability. As the amplitude increases, the maximum probability shifts towards the outer regions of the oscillation, indicating a higher likelihood of finding the oscillator at these points.

5. What factors can affect the probability density function of a simple harmonic oscillator?

Several factors can affect the probability density function of a simple harmonic oscillator, including the amplitude, frequency, and energy of the oscillator, as well as any external forces or damping present in the system. Additionally, the shape and boundary conditions of the system can also have an impact on the probability density function.