Simple Index of Refraction Question - chart

In summary, the index of refraction is the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in a material. It is denoted as n and is always greater than 1. The minimum value that the index of refraction can have is 1.
jcvince17

Homework Statement

what is the minimum value that the index of refraction can have?

Homework Equations

n1sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]i = n2sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]r

The Attempt at a Solution

my choices are:

A - between 0 and 1

B - +1

C - -1

D - 0

all listed values in my given chart are over 1. but that is not to say there is something else it can be. how can i determine this for sure?

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the definition of index of refraction?

cepheid said:
what is the definition of index of refraction?

from my book:

" the index of refraction of an optical material, denoted as n, is the ration of the speed of light in a vacuum (c) to the speed of light in the material (v)

n = c / v "

ok so...light always travels more slowly in material...therefore it is always 1+

thanks for helping me find it. i told you it was simple...i was looking for an equation and not a definition.

1. What is the definition of the simple index of refraction?

The simple index of refraction (n) is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light passing through it. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

2. How is the simple index of refraction different from the absolute index of refraction?

The simple index of refraction is a relative measure, while the absolute index of refraction is an absolute measure. The simple index of refraction compares the speed of light in the material to the speed of light in a vacuum, while the absolute index of refraction compares the speed of light in the material to the speed of light in air.

3. What factors affect the simple index of refraction of a material?

The simple index of refraction of a material is affected by its composition, temperature, and wavelength of light. Materials with a higher density and more tightly packed molecules tend to have a higher index of refraction. As temperature increases, the index of refraction generally decreases. Additionally, the index of refraction varies with the wavelength of light, which is why it is often measured for a specific wavelength.

4. How is the simple index of refraction measured?

The simple index of refraction can be measured using a refractometer, which measures the angle at which a ray of light bends as it passes through the material. The angle is then used to calculate the index of refraction using Snell's law.

5. What are some real-world applications of the simple index of refraction?

The simple index of refraction has many practical applications, including in the design of lenses for glasses and cameras, the production of optical fibers for telecommunications, and the development of coatings for solar panels. It is also used in the study of materials and their properties, as well as in the field of optics for understanding light and its behavior.