Determining the the index of refraction

In summary: What are the conditions for that to happen? Does the beam need to travel 'into' the other medium? Does it need to be thick?In summary, the student attempted to measure the refractive index of adhesive tape using a laser, but was unsuccessful. He has tried other experiments but does not know how to get good numbers. He suggests using other methods to measure thin layers, such as diffraction or reflection. He also suggests using a trick from a book on problem solving to get around the thinness of the tape sample.
kubajed

Homework Statement

I must determine the refractive index of the adhesive tape. Tools I can have is: laser, tape, carton, scissors etc.
I don't know how to do it.

Homework Equations

n=c/v
n=sin alfa/sin beta

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a lot of configurations to observe something but without effect

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't use any tools except that I wrote in first post.

Perhaps you could tell us about the methods you have tried?

I've never done this and don't know the answer.
I'd have thought about other experiments to measure thin layers.
Since you have a laser, I'd also try to think of how refractive index might affect a laser beam.

kubajed said:
I can't use any tools except that I wrote in first post.
But using the link posted by @Bystander and related links at wikipedia like this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index

What kinds of things could you try to do to get the laser passing through the tape to give you something useful...?

I tried to get stripes on carton. But it doesn't work.

kubajed said:
I tried to get stripes on carton. But it doesn't work.
I don't understand what you mean by that. Can you give a more complete description of what you are trying to do?

And does this image help at all? (although the thin sample you have may require special tricks to get good numbers...)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...fraction_photo.png/220px-Refraction_photo.png
220px-Refraction_photo.png

Stripes like using diffraction grating, but it was stupid. I know that outgoing beam is moved in comparison to incoming beam. But the problem is small thickness of tape.

kubajed said:
I know that outgoing beam is moved in comparison to incoming beam. But the problem is small thickness of tape.
So can you think of ways you could amplify the small displacement from the thin dielectric layer? How transparent is the tape?
Merlin3189 said:
Since you have a laser, I'd also try to think of how refractive index might affect a laser beam.
In addition to diffraction, what other property of light is affected by a change in the dielectric constant as the light beam transitions from one medium to another?

berkeman said:
So can you think of ways you could amplify the small displacement from the thin dielectric layer? How transparent is the tape?
Can you post a picture of the tape, or link to the product? There is another trick that you can use to get around the thinness of the tape sample... :smile:

Like: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41wtuh6hckL._SY355_.jpg
41wtuh6hckL._SY355_.jpg

I can use a lot of connected layers but transparency is so low then.
tasma-klejaca-12mmx30m-1szt-grand.jpg

kubajed said:
I can use a lot of connected layers but transparency is so low then.
tasma-klejaca-12mmx30m-1szt-grand.jpg
That picture holds the key to the trick I was thinking of. Did you ever see the old Star Trek movie "The Wrath of Khan"?

No, I didn't

kubajed said:
No, I didn't
Fair enough. I'm trying to think of a way to give you a hint for the trick, without just giving it straight away...

Here is the quote I was going to refer to to try to get you to think differently about the problem...

Do you suggest to experiment with 3D?

Could you tell me a little bit more?

kubajed said:
Do you suggest to experiment with 3D?
Not exactly. The point is to think of other geometries that you could use to take care of the problem of having such a thin sample.

Back when I was in high school, I found a short book on problem solving (I wish I could remember the title). It gave lots of tips and tricks for solving all kinds of problems, as well as general techniques for ways to think about problems. One of the best tips was when you were presented with a difficult problem that had obstacles to its solution, think about ways to turn things around up upside-down or some other way (physically or conceptually) to see if those alternative views gave any clues to ways to get past the obstacles.

I believe that I came up with a good trick for you to use to do this experiment, and I used that tip from the book on problem solving to get to it. Hope that helps. :smile:

When you learn about refractive index, there is something else that can happen when a light ray passes from one medium to another, other than just bending the ray. Go about a page beyond the first page in the book.

The laser beam is also reflected. It is it?

What are the conditions for that to happen? Does the beam need to travel 'into' the other medium? Does it need to be thick?

It can only follow the bonduary of medium if angle is critical angle

So.. . . ? You don't need many more clues, do you?

So I can measure this angle. Thanks.
But it will be very small?

It will depend on the index of the substance it's exiting from. Look up the value of various plastics and work out the critical angles from glass. (Check that mu for glass is higher!)

kubajed said:
But it will be very small?
Why "small"? For substances of similar densities, C will be quite large. Calculations (above) will show you.

I try to measure this angle, but for each angle (0-90deg) there is still a reflected and passing-through beam.

kubajed said:
I try to measure this angle, but for each angle (0-90deg) there is still a reflected and passing-through beam.
Did you look up Total Internal Reflection? That is what I was referring to.

Yes, I saw that. But there is no that angle

kubajed said:
Yes, I saw that. But there is no that angle
It depends how you are doing your experiment. What is the basic requirement for TIR?? (Does it work both ways?
Clue: Look up Abbe Refractometer. It's an old fashioned instrument for measuring the mu of minute quantities of substances.

These:
  • the light is in the more dense medium and approaching the less dense medium.
  • the angle of incidence is greater than the so-called critical angle.

SO which two media are you using with your experiment?

The tape and air. I can't use any others media except plastic of cm ruler.

kubajed said:
The laser beam is also reflected. It is it?
Yes, and what does the magnitude of the reflection versus the magnitude of the transmitted beam depend on? (Also watch out for multiple reflections if you use this technique...)

kubajed said:
The tape and air. I can't use any others media except plastic of cm ruler.

Are you sure that nothing else is available? School labs always have glass blocks.
But you could perhaps stick the tape on a flat surface and see if your laser beam can be ducted inside the tape ( entry via a cut end of the tape. - like in an optical fibre.)
Light would escape from the surface near the cut end but it would be cut off at greater distances, past the Critical Angle due to TIR. If this doesn't make sense,look up optical fibres and "light pipes".