1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple minimum/maximum question

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    I did a past paper question whereby I carried the answer (X+5)-6 through.

it then asked for the minimum points of the graph y=x^2 + 10x + 19. which is what i made into (X+5)-6.

I know i have to take the +5 and change its sign to -. and that's the minimum of X. and the -6 without change is the minimum of Y.

I just wondered, can anyone explain to me why this is so?

Furthermore, what would I do if it asked for a maximum. I would show an attempt, but i don't even understand why this is a minimum so it's hard for me to find out the maximum.
    ( this isn't actually a question I'm just interested.)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I presume you mean (x+5)2- 6.

A square is never negative. If y= (x- 5)2- 6, It is always "-6 plus something". If x- 5= 0, which is the same as x= 5 (adding 5 to both sides. I cringe when I read somenthing like "take the+ 5 and change its sign to -"!!), y= 0- 6= -6. For any other x, x- 5 is non-zero, (x- 6)2 is positive and (x- 5)2- 6 is larger that 6.

If the problem asked for a maximum, there is something wrong with the problem! The graph of y= (x- 5)2- 6 is a parabola that opens upward: its "vertex" is at the lowest point (5, -6). There is no highest point.

However, if the problem were y= -(x- 5)2- 6 (that's the same as y= x2+ 10 x+ 31), then you can argue that when x= 5, y= -02+ 31= 31 but for any other value of x, y= -(a positive number)+ 31 and so is less than 31. In this case, the graph is a parabola that opens downward. (5, 31) is the highest point on the parabola and 31 is the maximum value of y.
  4. Apr 24, 2008 #3
    Can anyone tell me how i find the line of symmetry of this curve, and why it is that 8D
  5. Apr 25, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you know the definition of "line of symmetry"?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?