Minimum Distance between two curves

In summary, the minimum distance between the parabola y^2=4x and the circle x^2+y^2-12x+31=0 is found by first finding the center and radius of the circle (at (6,0) and sqrt5, respectively), then using the fact that the closest point from a point outside a circle will lie on the line connecting the point to the center of the circle. The distance can be computed by finding the distance from a point on the parabola to the center of the circle, and finding the minimum by differentiating the distance. Alternatively, the parabola can be solved in terms of x, and the distance equation can be simplified using the quadratic formula to find the
ManInTheSuit97
Minimum Distance between y^2=4x and x^2+y^2-12x+31=0.
Attempt:I got that the parabola has vertex at(0,0) and focus at(1,0).The Circle is centred at (6,0)and its radius is sqrt 5.I figured that the double ordinate that passed through (6,0) would be bisected at the point.So I found out the chord of contact and it turned out to be x=6.I substituted the value of x in the parabola and found out y= sqrt24.I thought maybe the minimum distance is the difference in vertical distance and so my answer was sqrt 24-sqrt5.But it is not the answer and so I probably have messed up somewhere.I want to know the approach I should take

Physics news on Phys.org
For any point P outside a circle, the closest point to P on the circle will lie on the line from P to the center of the circle.
The distance From P to the circle will be the distance from P to the center of the circle minus the radius of the circle.
Compute the distance from a point on the parabola to the center of the circle and find a minimum by differentiating this distance.
(it will be easier to find a minimum for the square of the distance)

If you are looking to solve this without differentiating, you could first solve the parabola I terms of x, ie ##(x,2\sqrt{x})##.
Then write the equation for distance to (6,0).
##d=\sqrt{(x-6)^2+(2\sqrt{x})^2}##
You could use the quadratic equation to find the zero for distance. Then, note that the closest real point to an imaginary number a+bi is just the real part a.

1. What exactly is the minimum distance between two curves?

The minimum distance between two curves is the shortest possible distance between any points on the two curves. It can also be thought of as the closest distance at which the two curves can intersect without overlapping.

2. How is the minimum distance between two curves calculated?

The minimum distance between two curves can be calculated using various mathematical methods, such as finding the distance between points on the two curves or using calculus to find the minimum distance between the two curves.

3. Can the minimum distance between two curves be negative?

No, the minimum distance between two curves cannot be negative. It represents the shortest distance between the two curves, which by definition cannot be negative.

4. What factors can affect the minimum distance between two curves?

The shape and positioning of the two curves can greatly affect the minimum distance between them. Curves that are more similar in shape and closer together will have a smaller minimum distance compared to curves that are more dissimilar and further apart.

5. How is the minimum distance between two curves used in real-world applications?

The concept of minimum distance between two curves is used in various fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and physics. It is used to determine the closest distance between objects or to optimize the placement of objects, such as in the design of roads or the simulation of physical systems.