Simple Pendulum / Rotational Kinematics

In summary, there was a lesson on the simple pendulum in a lab class and the equations were discussed and understood, except for the part involving ω2=g/L. The person forgot to ask for clarification after class and is now seeking help. ω is the angular frequency of the motion, g is the acceleration of free fall, and L is the length of the pendulum. For a more detailed explanation, a helpful link was provided.
llauren84
I was just wondering where this comes from. Our professor was giving a lesson on the simple pendulum in the lab class. I copied all of the equations and how he manipulated then I understood, except for this part. I forgot to ask after class, but if you can explain it or want more relative info, let me know. Thanks so much! =)

ω2=g/L

Where ω is the rotational velocity (or speed...I don't know which is the correct way to say this), g is the gravitational force and L is the length of the pendulum.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also g is the acceleration of free fall, not gravitational force.

Razzor7 said:
Also g is the acceleration of free fall, not gravitational force.
Thanks! I forgot.

Doc Al said:
It's best to think of ω as the angular frequency of the motion. For a derivation, see this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/pend.html#c3"

Thanks! That helped.

I realize I should have put this in the homework help section...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight or mass attached to a string or rod that is free to swing back and forth. It is used as a tool to study the fundamental principles of rotational motion and gravity.

2. How does a simple pendulum work?

A simple pendulum works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy as it swings back and forth. The weight or mass of the pendulum experiences a restoring force due to gravity, causing it to oscillate. The time it takes for a pendulum to complete one full swing is called its period.

3. How is the period of a simple pendulum calculated?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth). This equation assumes small oscillations and no air resistance.

4. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the weight, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also influenced by outside factors such as air resistance and the amplitude (maximum angle of swing). The period remains constant as long as the amplitude is small.

5. How is a simple pendulum used in scientific experiments?

A simple pendulum is used in various scientific experiments to study the principles of rotational motion and gravity. It is often used to measure the acceleration due to gravity in a specific location, as well as to calculate the value of g. Pendulums are also used in timekeeping devices such as grandfather clocks and metronomes.