1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple positron diffraction problem

1. Mar 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A beam of positrons (positron ≡ antielectron) travels at 0.001% the speed of light and impinges on a slit that is 1 μm wide. Use modern units to find the angle θ between the center line and 3rd minimum of the resulting diffraction pattern. How far away (in cm) would you locate a detector so that the 3rd minimum is spaced 20 cm from the center line?

2. Relevant equations
    wavelength = hc/pc where hc=1240nm*ev
    and i believe p=mv where mass is same as electron =9.1e-31 and so pc=mc2=0.511e6

there is example in my notes where pc=mv*c=mc2(v/c) was used to find wavelength if v was given in % of c. but this is where I get confused because in the notes 0.1%*c becomes 0.001 somehow (10-2?)

for minima: (n-0.5)*wavelength=d*sin(θ) where asked to find θ, d=1e-6m and n=3 for this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    so.. after various incorrect attempts it give me what the answer should be but problem is I dont know how to get it :(

θ = 46.7200 Degrees
    Tries 3/3
    L= 18.8339 cm
    Tries 3/3

I think i should do something like find wavelength using 1240/(0.511e6*0.001) and if I do I get 2.43 nm. but i think im doing it wrong because I get wrong θ :(

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Sure.
    100% = 1
    10% = .1
    1% = .01
    and so on.

4. Oct 10, 2016 #3
    You used the wrong equation to find the angle. This is a question about diffraction, not interference. Your equation for the minima should be nλ=asinθ, where a is the slit width (in this case a=1e-6 m) and n=3.
    Your wavelength equation is correct. Wavelength should equal 242.7 nm.
    Use Y=Ltanθ to find L.
    20 cm is your vertical displacement from center line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted