Diffraction Question: Find Slit Width & Angle θ

• Thread starter Amy Marie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffraction
In summary, the distance between the first and fifth minima of a single-slit diffraction pattern is 0.350 mm with the screen 45.0 cm away from the slit, when light of wavelength 550 nm is used.
Amy Marie

Homework Statement

The distance between the first and fifth minima of a single-slit diffraction pattern is 0.350 mm with the screen 45.0 cm away from the slit, when light of wavelength 550 nm is used. (a) Find the slit width. (b) Calculate the angle θ of the first diffraction minimum

Homework Equations

a(sin θ) = m(λ)
a = slit width
λ = wavelength
θ = angle between ray and central axis
m = which minimum

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)
sin of angle θ to fifth minimum:
(5)(550 * 10[-9] m)/(a) = 0.00000275/a

By the small angle approximation, 0.00000275/a also gives the angle to the fifth minimum and the tangent of that angle.

Distance from center of diffraction pattern to fifth minimum:
[(0.00000275)(0.45 m)]/a = 0.0000012375/a

Distance from center of diffraction pattern to first minimum:
[(550*10[-9])(0.45 m)] = 0.0000002475/a

Solving for a:
0.000350 m = 0.0000012375/a - 0.0000002475/a
a = 0.002828 m

(b)
(0.002828 m)(sin θ) = 550 * 10[-9] m
sin θ = 0.000194 rad
θ = 0.000194 rad

When I checked, my answer for the slit width was correct, but the angle wasn't.
Can anyone please find what went wrong with the angle in part b?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you may have used an incorrect equation. For destructive interference, the equation should be
dsinΘ = (m + 1/2)λ​
this will yield a different value for the angle.

If I am correct, then I think that the anomaly of you having the correct answer for one component and yet not the other arises because conceptually the difference in slit produces both maximum and minimum fringes and their angles for the same value of d; so by calculating the maximum constructive interference angle you have the same distance as the minimum destructive interference angle.

Last edited:
Ivan Karamazov said:
I think you may have used an incorrect equation. For destructive interference, the equation should be
dsinΘ = (m + 1/2)λ​
this will yield a different value for the angle.

If I am correct, then I think that the anomaly of you having the correct answer for one component and yet not the other arises because conceptually the difference in slit produces both maximum and minimum fringes and their angles for the same value of d; so by calculating the maximum constructive interference angle you have the same distance as the minimum destructive interference angle.
I still couldn't get it to work, but thank you!

Ivan Karamazov said:
dsinΘ = (m + 1/2)λ​

This equation is actually for double-slit destructive interference. ##a\sin\theta = m\lambda## is indeed the correct equation for single-slit minima. Since your slit width is correct, I'm not sure where your error lies since it looks like you calculated the angle correctly...​

Miles Whitmore said:

This equation is actually for double-slit destructive interference. ##a\sin\theta = m\lambda## is indeed the correct equation for single-slit minima. Since your slit width is correct, I'm not sure where your error lies since it looks like you calculated the angle correctly...​
Thank you for taking the time to look at this!

1. What is diffraction?

Diffraction is the bending of waves around obstacles or through small openings. It is a characteristic behavior of all types of waves, including sound, light, and water waves.

2. How does diffraction occur?

Diffraction occurs when waves encounter an obstacle or a small opening that is comparable in size to the wavelength of the wave. The wave then bends and spreads out as it passes through or around the obstacle, creating a pattern of interference.

3. What is the relationship between slit width and diffraction?

The slit width is directly related to the amount of diffraction that occurs. As the slit width decreases, the amount of diffraction increases, resulting in a wider diffraction pattern.

4. How is the slit width and angle θ related in diffraction experiments?

The slit width and the angle θ are inversely related in diffraction experiments. As the slit width decreases, the angle θ increases, resulting in a wider diffraction pattern.

5. How can I calculate the slit width and angle θ in a diffraction experiment?

The slit width and angle θ can be calculated using the diffraction equation, which is given by d*sin(θ) = m*λ, where d is the slit width, θ is the angle of diffraction, m is the order of the diffraction pattern, and λ is the wavelength of the wave. By rearranging the equation, you can solve for either the slit width or the angle θ.