1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Problem, I think theres not enough information

1. Feb 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In Figure 8-50 (nothing important other than 1.2 m height difference, the higher level is completey flat), a block slides along a track from one level to a higher level after passing through an intermediate valley. The track is frictionless until the block reaches the higher level. There a frictional force stops the block in a distance d. The block's initial speed v0 is 6.0 m/s, the height difference h is 1.2 m, and the µk is 0.60. Find d.

Vo = 6.0 m/s
    h = 1.2 m
    µk = 0.60
    m = ??? (not given)

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of energy to get initial velocity upon reaching the higher level (this is already done and verified)

Then for the friction force we need the normal force (in this case weight of block), which is not given...

3. The attempt at a solution

So I already have the initial velocity at the higher level done and verified that part is correct, but I don't think the distance d it takes to come to a stop can be found since they never gave the weight of the block (so unknown magnitude of friction force).

Am I missing something here?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2008 #2
    oh nvm i randomly dropped a variable -____-

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?