Simple Proof by Induction Problem

In summary, Patrick is asking for help with a nested induction proof problem that involves showing that S_i is a subset of S_{i+1}. He has started by converting the problem into a new form and is unsure of how to proceed. He suggests using an inductive hypothesis, but is unsure of how to apply it.
CuppoJava
Hi,

I devised this problem for myself as part of a bigger question that I'm working on, and am having trouble solving it. I think it involves a nested induction proof but I am not sure how to start. A tip on how to begin would be much appreciated.

Thanks
-Patrick

Homework Statement

[itex]
S_0 = \{\}
[/itex]
[itex]
S_i = \{0\} \bigcup \{s + \pi | s \in S_{i-1}\}
[/itex]
Show that [itex] S_i \subseteq S_{i+1} [/itex] for all [itex]i[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by converting the problem to the following form:

[itex]\forall i > 0, 0 \in S_i[/itex]
[itex]\forall s \in S_i, s + \pi \in S_{i + 1}[/itex]
Show that [itex] \forall s \in S_i, s \in S_{i + 1} [/itex]

But I don't know what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose true up to some i = n. Let x be in Sn. You want to show it is in Sn+1. Trivial if x = 0, otherwise x = y+π for some y in Sn-1. By the inductive hypothesis, since y is in Sn-1 it is also in ...?

Likes 1 person
... therefore [itex]y[/itex] is in [itex]S_n[/itex] according to the assumed hypothesis.
Therefore [itex] y + 1 = x [/itex] is in [itex]S_{n+1}[/itex].
Therefore [itex] S_i \subseteq S_{i+1} [/itex] by induction.

Thank you!
-Patrick

What is a simple proof by induction problem?

A simple proof by induction problem is a mathematical problem where one must prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers, using a specific method called mathematical induction.

How does mathematical induction work?

Mathematical induction works by proving that a statement is true for the first natural number (usually 1), and then assuming that the statement is true for any given natural number. By using this assumption, the statement can then be proven to be true for the next natural number. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

What are the steps to solve a simple proof by induction problem?

The steps to solve a simple proof by induction problem are as follows:

1. Prove that the statement is true for the first natural number (usually 1).
  2. Assume that the statement is true for any given natural number.
  3. Use this assumption to prove that the statement is true for the next natural number.
  4. Repeat this process until the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

Can any statement be proven using mathematical induction?

No, not every statement can be proven using mathematical induction. The statement must be a statement about natural numbers, and it must be able to be broken down into smaller cases that can be proven using the steps of mathematical induction.

What are some common examples of simple proof by induction problems?

Some common examples of simple proof by induction problems include proving that the sum of the first n natural numbers is equal to (n+1) * (n/2), and proving that the product of the first n natural numbers is equal to n factorial (n!).