1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple Proof of Weierstass Approximation Theorem?

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let D={x in the set of real numbers: -3<x<3, x does not equal 0,1,2} and define g(x)=(cosx-1)/x + (x3-2x2-x+2)/(x2-3x+2) on D. Find G:R→R such that G is continuous everywhere and G(x)=g(x) when x is in set D.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From a past homework problem I know how to prove that, for any continuous f:R→R, there exists a sequence (pn) of polynomials such that pn converges uniformly to f on any given bounded subset of R.
    So after I show that g(x) is continuous and that a sequence of polynomials that converges uniformly to g exists, how do I actually find the function G(x)?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2
    Use the definition of continuity: g(0) = lim(x->0) g(x) = 1 etc. (The limits of the form 0/0 are to be tackled with L'Hospital's rule).
    You might want to have a look at Riemann's theorem on removable singularities to see how this is done in general.
    P.S. - Where is the Weirstrass Approximation Thm. called for?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook