Prove/disprove that g(x) = sup f(x), f in F, continuous

• Thread starter QIsReluctant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary: This notation is okay, too:$$\displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} \displaystyle \sup_{1 \leq i \leq n} f_i(x) = \displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} \displaystyle \sup_{1 \leq i \leq n} f_i(x)$$The limit notation I used in my previous post would suggest there are a finite number of functions in ##F##, which I don't think is the case. Sorry for the confusion.In summary, we are dealing with a compact metric space, X, and a family, F, of uniformly bounded, equicontinuous real-valued functions on X. The question is
QIsReluctant

Homework Statement

Let X be a compact metric space, F a family of uniformly bounded, equicontinuous real-valued functions on X.

Is the function
g(x) := supf ∈ F f(x)
necessarily continuous?

The Attempt at a Solution

The hypotheses about the function family seem to point to some use of Ascoli's theorem. If we have that g(x) = sup f(x) for f in the family then we have an increasing sequence fn(x) -> g(x) for fixed x.

I tried starting with proving that g is continuous: by Ascoli's theorem this corresponding sequence fn has a (uniformly) convergent subsequence; in particular, g(x) is attained at x by some function f in the closure of F. Perhaps there's a continuity argument to be made there? Any function in the closure of F would have to be continuous because X is compact and the set of bounded continuous functions with compact domain is closed. But the connection to sup f is not clear since sup f need not be the uniform limit of any sequence in F.

I also tried a triangulation argument like this:
Let xn → x. There's a sequence of functions in F such that fk(x) approaches g(x) pointwise. Choose ε > 0, then [fk(x) - g(x)| < ε/3 for sufficiently large k. Since the fk are equicontinuous there exists δ > 0 such that |xn - x| < δ implies [fk(xn) - fk(x)| < ε / 3 for any k.

If I could only guarantee [fk(xn) - g(xn)| < ε/3 for sufficiently large k and n, I will have arrived. But I just can't bridge the gap. Again, it looks like I need some sort of continuity-based argument here, but I don't know how I can make one without assuming that g is continuous.

Then I try to think of counterexamples, but the rather dense hypotheses make counterexamples a little hard to visualize for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, but could you explain exactly what this line means:

$$g(x) := \text{sup}_{f \in F} f(x)$$

You're choosing one of the functions from ##F##, and treating ##f(x)## like a set?

Did you mean:

$$g(x) := \text{sup}\{f \in F \}$$

As in ##g(x)## is chosen to be the biggest function in the set ##F##?

I really think this should read ##g(x) := \text{max}\{f \in F \}## anyway.

Did you mean:

g(x):=sup{f∈F}As in g(x) is chosen to be the biggest function in the set F?
No -- I meant that, at each individual x, we choose the supremum of the set of values at x.
For example, if F = {the functions x → ax: a ∈ (0, 1)}, then g(0.5) = 0.5 and g(-0.5) = 0.

QIsReluctant said:
No -- I meant that, at each individual x, we choose the supremum of the set of values at x.
For example, if F = {the functions x → ax: a ∈ (0, 1)}, then g(0.5) = 0.5 and g(-0.5) = 0.

So ##g(x)## takes on the value of one of the equicontinuous functions ##f_i \in F, \space 1 \leq i \leq n## for each ##x##. The function ##f_i## chosen for the value of ##x## must maximize ##g(x) = f_i(x)##.

We could write this as ##g(x) := \displaystyle \sup_{1 \leq i \leq n} f_i(x) = \sup \{ f_1(x), f_2(x), \cdots, f_n(x) \}##.

So we choose a value of ##x##, then we choose a value of ##i## such that ##f_i(x)## is maximized.

How do you usually go about showing a function is continuous? How does this apply to ##g(x)##? I think you want to show:

$$\displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} g(x) = \displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} \displaystyle \sup_{1 \leq i \leq n} f_i(x) = \sup \{ f_1(a), f_2(a), \cdots, f_n(a) \}$$

More formally:

$$\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta > 0 \space | \space 0 < | x - a | < \delta \Rightarrow |g(x) - \sup \{ f_1(a), f_2(a), \cdots, f_n(a) \}| < \varepsilon$$

You know each ##f_i## is equicontinuous, and you also know ##|\sup \{ f_1(a), f_2(a), \cdots, f_n(a) \}| \leq M## because the functions in ##F## are uniformly bounded.

Last edited:
Zondrina said:
So ##g(x)## takes on the value of one of the equicontinuous functions ##f_i \in F, \space 1 \leq i \leq n## for each ##x##. The function ##f_i## chosen for the value of ##x## must maximize ##g(x) = f_i(x)##.

There is nothing in the question to suggest that [itex]F[/itex] is finite or even countable.

pasmith said:
There is nothing in the question to suggest that [itex]F[/itex] is finite or even countable.

Yes, I suppose this would change the notation in my last post a bit. I was intending to mean there are infinitely many of these functions, but I did not express it as such. It's hard to think when you first wake up with no coffee, my apologies.

The previous post I wrote should read something like:

Zondrina said:
So ##g(x)## takes on the value of one of the equicontinuous functions ##f_n \in F## for each ##x##. The function ##f_n## chosen for the value of ##x## must maximize ##g(x) = f_n(x)##.

We could write this as ##g(x) := \displaystyle \sup_{n \to \infty} f_n(x) = \sup \{ f_1(x), f_2(x), ... \}##.

So we choose a value of ##x##, then we choose a value of ##n## such that ##f_n(x)## is maximized.

How do you usually go about showing a function is continuous? How does this apply to ##g(x)##? I think you want to show:

$$\displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} g(x) = \displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} \displaystyle \sup_{n \to \infty} f_n(x) = \sup \{ f_1(a), f_2(a), ... \}$$

More formally:

$$\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta > 0 \space | \space 0 < | x - a | < \delta \Rightarrow |g(x) - \sup \{ f_1(a), f_2(a), ... \}| < \varepsilon$$

You know each ##f_n## is equicontinuous, and you also know ##|\sup \{ f_1(a), f_2(a), ... \}| \leq M## because the functions in ##F## are uniformly bounded.

Never mind, sorry, I don't see the delete option.

After sleeping on this a bit, I think the notation used in the original post is okay. I can't understand why, but I looked at it differently yesterday than I do today. The limit in my last post should have read:

$$\displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} g(x) = \displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} \displaystyle \sup_{f \in F} f(x) = \sup \{ f_1(a), f_2(a), f_3(a), ... \}$$

Still, the point is to show ##|g(x) - \sup \{f_1(a), f_2(a), f_3(a), ... \}| < \varepsilon##.

A graphical argument might help to see what is really happening.

Last edited:
Zondrina said:
After sleeping on this a bit, I think the notation used in the original post is okay. I can't understand why, but I looked at it differently yesterday than I do today. The limit in my last post should have read:

$$\displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} g(x) = \displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} \displaystyle \sup_{f \in F} f(x) = \sup \{ f_1(a), f_2(a), f_3(a), ... \}$$

Still, the point is to show ##|g(x) - \sup \{f_1(a), f_2(a), f_3(a), ... \}| < \varepsilon##.

A graphical argument might help to see what is really happening.
Throughout this thread I see references to equicontinuous functions, but as far as I am aware there's no such beast. It's the family that's equicontinuous, and from that fact, it seems to me the desired result follows fairly swiftly.

1. What does the notation "g(x) = sup f(x)" mean?

The notation "g(x) = sup f(x)" means that g(x) is equal to the supremum (or least upper bound) of the set of values of f(x). In other words, g(x) is the largest value that f(x) can attain.

2. What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

A function is said to be continuous if it has no sudden jumps or breaks and can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper. This means that the limit of the function as x approaches a certain value is equal to the value of the function at that point.

3. How can you prove that g(x) is equal to the supremum of f(x)?

To prove that g(x) is equal to the supremum of f(x), you need to show that g(x) satisfies the definition of a supremum. This means that g(x) must be an upper bound for the set of values of f(x), and it must also be the smallest upper bound possible.

4. Can you disprove the statement "g(x) = sup f(x), f in F, continuous"?

Yes, it is possible to disprove this statement. One way to do this would be to find a counterexample, which is a specific case where the statement does not hold true. This could involve finding a function f(x) that is continuous and has a supremum g(x), but g(x) is not equal to the supremum of f(x).

5. What are some real-world applications of this concept?

The concept of proving or disproving that g(x) equals the supremum of f(x) has many applications in mathematics, engineering, and science. For example, in optimization problems where we want to find the maximum or minimum value of a function, we can use this concept to prove that we have found the correct solution. In physics, this concept is used to determine the maximum or minimum values of physical quantities such as energy, velocity, or force. In economics, it can be used to find the optimal solution for a given situation.