1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question regarding vectors in examples of physics textbooks

Tags:
  1. Nov 8, 2014 #1
    I have noticed that in my classical mechanics course and in the textbook I read for it, the portion in examples that require to look at the sum of forces for the system is different than what I am accustomed to in introductory texts. For example, if we were dealing with a system with a ball of mass ##m## tied to a ceiling and were asked to find the forces, in an introductory textbook (as least the ones I read) would state the summation of forces as ##F_{net}=T-mg##. However, in the mechanics textbook it is written as ##F_{net}=T+mg##. I'm wondering why it seems that the downward aspect of the gravitational force is ignored. I figure that overall it doesn't make a difference, but I'm just curious for the author's reasoning as it leads me confused in both reading and comparing answers for exercises from the textbook.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Try reading the textbook more carefully to understand how T and Fnet are defined the notion of what direction is positive is critical to understanding the equation.

4. Nov 8, 2014 #3
    Chances are that the text that type F=T+Mg, is using a notation where F, T and Mg are vectors. fnet.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook