Simple roots of a Lie Group from the full root system

In summary, the conversation is about finding a method to determine which roots are simple in a Lie algebra's full root system, particularly in an arbitrary basis. The task at hand is to build a Dynkin diagram from a system of positive roots, which can be difficult without a specified basis. The conversation suggests using the simple roots or utilizing online resources such as a Lie algebra calculator for assistance.
TIMRENNER
Hello all,

I'm attempting to find in literature a method of determining from a Lie algebra's full root system in an arbitrary basis which roots are simple. It seems there are many books, articles, etc on getting all the roots from the simple roots but none that go the other way.

My task is to take a system of positive roots and write an algorithm which builds the Dynkin diagram. I can identify the group quite easily, but building the Dynkin diagram is difficult. The algorithm I'm currently trying picks the first root and then looks for ones that have the correct dot products one at a time, thus building the diagram. However, it sometimes stops at smaller groups, identifying a D5 (SO(10)) group as D4 (SO(8)) or an E7 as an E6.

Is there any way other than using the Dynkin diagrams to identify a root as simple, or should I just start building linear combinations?

By the way, the basis for the roots is not specified, so I can't use the generic root structures for the groups presented in the literature.

Thanks,
Tim

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a simple root of a Lie Group?

A simple root of a Lie Group is a basic element of the root system that cannot be expressed as a linear combination of other roots. It is a fundamental building block that can be used to generate the entire root system.

2. How are simple roots related to the full root system?

The full root system of a Lie Group is made up of all possible combinations of simple roots. Each simple root can be combined with other simple roots to form a full root, which represents a specific direction or symmetry in the group.

3. What is the significance of simple roots in Lie Group theory?

Simple roots play a crucial role in the classification and study of Lie Groups. They provide a way to break down the complex structure of a Lie Group into more manageable components, making it easier to understand and analyze.

4. How can simple roots be used to construct a Lie Group?

By taking a set of simple roots and applying certain operations, such as reflections and translations, one can generate the entire root system and ultimately construct the corresponding Lie Group. This process is known as the Chevalley basis construction.

5. Can there be multiple sets of simple roots for the same Lie Group?

Yes, a Lie Group can have multiple sets of simple roots. This is because there can be different ways of breaking down the root system into simple roots, each of which will generate a unique set. However, all of these sets will ultimately lead to the same Lie Group structure.