*SIMPLE slope question on graphic - Units?

In summary, the conversation discusses a log graph with diameter on the x-axis and period on the y-axis. The person is trying to determine the units of the slope, which is s/cm. It is then clarified that a logarithm is always dimensionless, even when it appears to have units. Therefore, the log axis in this case has no units.
nukeman

Homework Statement

I just want to be 100% sure I got this correct.

I have a log graph, and along the x-axis I have diameter (in cm's) and up the y-axis I have period (in seconds).

I had to get the slope, which I got, but what are the units of the slope?

s/cm ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
nukeman said:
anyone?
Let's see ... you waited 2 hours and 32 minutes before bumping. That's about 21 hours and 28 minutes short of what's required.

nukeman said:

Homework Statement

I just want to be 100% sure I got this correct.

I have a log graph, and along the x-axis I have diameter (in cm's) and up the y-axis I have period (in seconds).

I had to get the slope, which I got, but what are the units of the slope?

s/cm ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Which axis is a logarithm? ... or are both?

hi nukeman! :smile:

a log is always dimensionless

even when it looks as if it's eg log(time), it's really log(time/time0)…

dimensionless! :wink:

so the logx (or is it logy?) axis has no units :smile:

The units of the slope will depend on the units of the y-axis and the x-axis. In this case, the y-axis is in seconds and the x-axis is in centimeters. Therefore, the units of the slope will be in seconds per centimeter (s/cm). This means that for every increase of 1 centimeter on the x-axis, the y-axis will increase by the value of the slope in seconds.

1. What is a simple slope question on a graphic?

A simple slope question on a graphic refers to a type of statistical analysis that involves examining the relationship between two variables by plotting them on a graph and calculating the slope of the line that best fits the data points.

2. How is the slope calculated on a graphic?

The slope on a graphic is calculated by dividing the change in the dependent variable (y) by the change in the independent variable (x). This can be represented as rise over run or (y2-y1)/(x2-x1).

3. What do the units on a graphic represent?

The units on a graphic represent the scale or measurement used for the variables being plotted. For example, if the x-axis represents time and is measured in years, the units would be "years". If the y-axis represents height and is measured in inches, the units would be "inches".

4. How can simple slope be interpreted?

Simple slope can be interpreted as the rate of change between two variables. A positive simple slope indicates a positive relationship between the variables, meaning as one variable increases, the other also increases. A negative simple slope indicates an inverse relationship, meaning as one variable increases, the other decreases.

5. What are some limitations of using simple slope on a graphic?

Some limitations of using simple slope on a graphic include assuming a linear relationship between the variables and not accounting for other factors that may influence the relationship. Additionally, the interpretation of simple slope may be limited by the range of values included in the data and the precision of the measurements.