Find a Perpendicular Plane to Line \vec{L}(t) and Passes Through Point (5,-5,0)

• Thread starter JoshHolloway
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the homework equation for a plane that passes through (5,0,2) and (5,-5,0) is: A(x-x0)+B(y- y0)+C(z- z0)=0 which yields 8x-40-y-1+3z=0
JoshHolloway

Homework Statement

Find a plane that is perpendicular to the line [tex] \vec{L}(t) = (5,0,2)t + (3,-1,1)[/tex] and passes through the point [tex] (5,-5,0) [/tex]

Homework Equations

The equation of the plane that P through [tex] (x_{0},y_{0},z_{0}) [/tex] that has a normal vector [tex] \vec{n} = A \vec{i} + B \vec{j} + C\vec{k} [/tex] is:
[tex] A(x - x_{0}) + B(y - y_{0}) + C(z - z_{0}) = 0 [/tex]
that is, [tex] (x,y,z) \in P [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \vec{L}(t) = (5t + 3, -1, 2t + 1) [/tex]
let [tex] t = 1 \Rightarrow \vec{L}(1) = (8,-1,3) = (A,B,C)[/tex]
[tex](x_{0},y_{0},z_{0}) = (5,-1,0) [/tex]

[tex](8)(x - 5) + (-1)(y +1) + (3)(z - 0) = 0 [/tex]
[tex]8x - 40 - y -1 + 3z = 0; [/tex]
[tex]8x - y + 3z = 41 [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The correct answer is [tex] 5x +2z = 25[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

I have to assume that you haven't yet finished your corrections, because the L(t) functions seem different. Let us know when you've updated it correctly in your OP please.

OK, I'm assuming that your second post indicates that you are now thinking that you have the original problem correctly set up.

My first question is - Where are you getting the L(t) in your attempt at a solution? It looks to me as if it's different from the one in the problem.

Last edited:
Alright, the I am finished with the corrections.

From the problem, L(1) = (8,-1,3). Where are you getting the second L(t) that appears in your solution?

Last edited:
I don't see what I have written that is wrong.

JoshHolloway said:

Homework Statement

Find a plane that is perpendicular to the line [tex] \vec{L}(t) = (5,0,2)t + (3,-1,1)[/tex] and passes through the point [tex] (5,-5,0) [/tex]

Homework Equations

The equation of the plane that P through [tex] (x_{0},y_{0},z_{0}) [/tex] that has a normal vector [tex] \vec{n} = A \vec{i} + B \vec{j} + C\vec{k} [/tex] is:
that is, [tex] (x,y,z) \in P [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \vec{L}(t) = (5t + 3, -1, 2t + 1) [/tex]
let [tex] t = 1 \Rightarrow \vec{L}(1) = (8,-1,3) = (A,B,C)[/tex]
[tex](x_{0},y_{0},z_{0}) = (5,-1,0) [/tex]

[tex](8)(x - 5) + (-1)(y +1) + (3)(z - 0) = 0 [/tex]
[tex]8x - 40 - y -1 + 3z = 0; [/tex]
[tex]8x - y + 3z = 41 [/tex]

JoshHolloway said:
I don't see what I have written that is wrong.

Then there's something weird in the software or your formatting. I see in your OP a value of L(1) = (-1,5,4).

When I look at it in quote mode it is different than what I see when looking at the post itself.

It looks like you are assuming that the value L(1) =(8,-1,3) is the normal vector. It's not. You need to find a vector that is parallel to the line. That's not the same as a point on the line.

Think about what it means if (8,-1,3) and (3,-1,1) both lie on the line.

Last edited:
So do I take the cross product of (8,-1,3) and (3,-1,1) to find the normal vector?

Last edited:
You don't need to do that. In fact, you don't need to do any calculation at all. If you write a plane as A(x-x0)+ B(y- y0)+ C(z- z0)= 0, then [itex]A\vec{i}+ B\vec{j}+ C\vec{k}[/itex] is perpendicular to the plane. You know that (5, -5, 0) is a point in the plane so you immediately know x0, y0, and z0.

You know that the line [tex] \vec{L}(t) = (5,0,2)t + (3,-1,1)[/tex], which has "direction vector" [itex]5\vec{i}+ 2\vec{k}[/itex], is to be perpendicular to the plane so you immediately know A, B, and C.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoshHolloway said:
So do I take the cross product of (8,-1,3) and (3,-1,1) to find the normal vector?
You need a vector that's parallel to the line. The direction vector from (3,-1,1) to (8,-1,3) fits. Notice what you get, and compare it to what HallsofIvy says.

Last edited:

1. How do I find a perpendicular plane to a line?

To find a perpendicular plane to a line, you need to first determine the direction vector of the line. Then, find the cross product of the direction vector and a vector perpendicular to it. This cross product will give you the normal vector of the plane. Finally, use the point given to construct the equation of the plane using the normal vector and the point.

2. What is the direction vector of a line?

The direction vector of a line is a vector that represents the direction in which the line is moving. It is typically denoted by v or d. To find the direction vector, you can choose any two points on the line and subtract their coordinates to get the vector.

3. How do I find the cross product of two vectors?

To find the cross product of two vectors, you need to first ensure that the vectors are in R3. Then, multiply the magnitudes of the two vectors by the sine of the angle between them. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

4. What is a normal vector?

A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a plane or surface. It is used to determine the orientation of the plane and is an important component in the equation of a plane.

5. Can a line have multiple perpendicular planes?

Yes, a line can have multiple perpendicular planes. In fact, there are infinitely many planes that can be perpendicular to a given line. This is because a plane can be rotated around the line and still maintain its perpendicularity to the line.