Simple way to get a complex Limit?

In summary, a limit problem in connection with the Ratio Test is being discussed and the question of finding a simple way to solve it is raised. Possible solutions using l'Hôpital's Rule, the squeeze theorem, and the definition of e are proposed and discussed. Ultimately, it is determined that using the definition of e is the simplest way to find the limit, which is equal to e^{-1}.
BackEMF
I'm helping a few people out with school maths and I came across this limit (in connection with the Ratio Test):

[tex] \lim_{n \to \infty}\left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^n [/tex]

now I can figure out the answer to this myself using l'Hôpital's Rule but the student's I'm teaching wouldn't have come across it yet, so it's either a misprint in their book - or there's a simple way of figuring it out which I can't see. Anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
could we look at the limit of [tex] (\left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^n - \left(\frac{(n-1)}{(n-1)+1}\right)^{n-1} )[/tex] ?

I mean if [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} (a_{n} - a_{n-1}) \to \infty [/tex] then doesn't that tell us something?

Last edited:
Sorry, I probably shouldn't have mentioned the ratio test at all, I'm just looking to find the limit, which equals [tex] e^{-1} [/tex] which I got by taking the natural log of the term above and applying l'Hôpital's Rule.

you want to use the squeeze theorem

OK, any ideas of what two functions to pick?

Surely they have come across the definition of [itex]e[/itex]? If so, it's simple enough:

[tex]\left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^n = \left(\frac{n+1}{n}\right)^{-n} = \left[\left(1 + \frac{1}{n}\right)^n\right]^{-1}[/tex]

Taking the limit of the last expression and using the definition of [itex]e[/itex] gives [itex]e^{-1}[/itex].

Is there a reason why they wouldn't be allowed to do it this way?

mute is correct

Excellent, yes they would have come across that definition of [itex] e [/itex]. But as for myself on the other hand...let's just say it's been a while.

Thanks Mute and grmnsplx.

1. How do I find a complex limit?

Finding a complex limit involves evaluating the limit of a complex function as the input variable approaches a complex number. This can be done through algebraic manipulation, using L'Hopital's rule, or graphically.

2. What are some common techniques for evaluating complex limits?

Some common techniques for evaluating complex limits include using algebraic manipulation, factoring, substitution, and simplifying the expression. Additionally, using properties of limits, such as the squeeze theorem and the limit of a product rule, can also be helpful.

3. Can complex limits have different values from real limits?

Yes, complex limits can have different values from real limits. This is because complex numbers have both a real and imaginary component, so the limit can approach a different value in each direction.

4. How do I determine if a complex limit exists?

A complex limit exists if the limit of the real and imaginary components of a complex function approach the same values from both directions. This can be determined by evaluating the limit from different directions and comparing the results.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when evaluating complex limits?

Yes, there are some special cases or exceptions when evaluating complex limits. For example, when the limit approaches a point where there is a discontinuity or an essential singularity, the limit may not exist. Additionally, some complex functions may have multiple limits or their limits may depend on the path taken to approach the limit point.