1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple way to get a complex Limit?

1. Mar 11, 2008 #1
    I'm helping a few people out with school maths and I came across this limit (in connection with the Ratio Test):

[tex] \lim_{n \to \infty}\left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^n [/tex]

now I can figure out the answer to this myself using l'Hôpital's Rule but the student's I'm teaching wouldn't have come across it yet, so it's either a misprint in their book - or there's a simple way of figuring it out which I can't see. Anyone have any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2008 #2
    could we look at the limit of [tex] (\left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^n - \left(\frac{(n-1)}{(n-1)+1}\right)^{n-1} )[/tex] ?

I mean if [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} (a_{n} - a_{n-1}) \to \infty [/tex] then doesn't that tell us something?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  4. Mar 11, 2008 #3
    Sorry, I probably shouldn't have mentioned the ratio test at all, I'm just looking to find the limit, which equals [tex] e^{-1} [/tex] which I got by taking the natural log of the term above and applying l'Hôpital's Rule.

5. Mar 11, 2008 #4
    you want to use the squeeze theorem

6. Mar 11, 2008 #5
    OK, any ideas of what two functions to pick?

7. Mar 11, 2008 #6

Mute

Homework Helper

Surely they have come across the definition of [itex]e[/itex]? If so, it's simple enough:

[tex]\left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^n = \left(\frac{n+1}{n}\right)^{-n} = \left[\left(1 + \frac{1}{n}\right)^n\right]^{-1}[/tex]

Taking the limit of the last expression and using the definition of [itex]e[/itex] gives [itex]e^{-1}[/itex].

Is there a reason why they wouldn't be allowed to do it this way?

8. Mar 12, 2008 #7
    mute is correct

9. Mar 12, 2008 #8
    Excellent, yes they would have come across that definition of [itex] e [/itex]. But as for myself on the other hand...let's just say it's been a while.

Thanks Mute and grmnsplx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?