Evaluate Limit: $$\lim_{x\to\infty} (-1)^nn^3 + 2^{-n}$$

• MHB
  • Thread starter tmt1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the value of the limit as x approaches infinity does not exist because the expression oscillates between positive and negative values infinitely. To evaluate the limit, it can be split into two separate limits and simplified using limit laws. The value of n does affect the limit, causing it to be undefined as n increases. This is a divergent limit, as the expression does not approach a single value. L'Hopital's rule cannot be applied to this limit as it is not in an indeterminate form.
tmt1
I have this limit:

$$\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} {(-1)}^{n}{n}^{3} + {2}^{-n}$$

and I'm unsure how to evaluate it or how to apply L'hopital's rule to this limit.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
I have this limit: $$\lim_{n\to\infty} (-1)^n\,n^3 + 2^{-n}$$

and I'm unsure how to evaluate it or how to apply L'hopital's rule to this limit.

L'Hopital's rule doesn't apply here.

We see that: [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}2^{-n}\:=\:0[/tex]

But the first part is an alternating sequence of cubes:
. . [tex]-1 + 8 - 27 + 64 - 125 + \cdots[/tex] which diverges.

It's a limit, not a series - the limit does not exist.

1. What is the value of the limit as x approaches infinity?

The limit does not exist as x approaches infinity because the expression oscillates between positive and negative values infinitely.

2. How do you evaluate the limit?

To evaluate the limit, we can split the expression into two separate limits, one for the first term and one for the second term. We can then use the limit laws to simplify each term and evaluate them separately.

3. Does the value of n affect the limit?

Yes, the value of n does affect the limit. As n increases, the first term of the expression, (-1)^n(n^3), will also increase, while the second term, 2^-n, will decrease. This causes the expression to oscillate between positive and negative values, making the limit undefined.

4. Is this a convergent or divergent limit?

This is a divergent limit, as the expression does not approach a single value as x approaches infinity. Instead, it oscillates between positive and negative values infinitely.

5. Can we use L'Hopital's rule to evaluate this limit?

No, L'Hopital's rule cannot be applied to this limit because it is not in an indeterminate form. Both the numerator and denominator approach infinity, but at different rates, making it impossible to apply L'Hopital's rule.