1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplify cofunction expression

1. Apr 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    csc(pi/2-x)/cos(x+pi/2) + cot(pi/2-x)

3. The attempt at a solution

1/cosx/-sinx + sinx/cosx

-1/sinxcosx+ sinx/cosx(sinx/sinx)

(sin2x - 1) / sinxcosx

-cos2x/sinxcosx

-cosx/sinx

-cotx

is this right the answer key says it is cosx but that could be wrong I have done this a couple times and gotten the same answer

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I don't think it can be the same as cosx because if you put x=0, it doesn't work.

4. Apr 24, 2009 #3
    I'm assuming you mean (1/cosx)/-sinx in the first fraction. Anyway, this is not correct.

5. Apr 25, 2009 #4
    (1) cofunction%20identiies%20csc%20sec.gif

(2)cos(x+pi/2) = - sinx

(1)/(2)=

secx/-sinx=

(1/cosx)/-sinx

what is wrong about that?

6. Apr 25, 2009 #5
    Oops, sorry about that. I misread the problem. I redid the problem and now I'm getting -cot x. You sure you copied the problem correctly?

7. Apr 25, 2009 #6
    Well the way it is written is the csc cofunction is directly above the cos cofunction and then added to the cot cofunction. There isn't actually a line between the two. I am sure i am meant to divide the two but is there anything else that could mean. FYI my instructor is very smart but he is also somewhat absent minded and I am pretty sure he put together these practice assignments himself he could have made a mistake it wouldn't be the first time.

8. Apr 25, 2009 #7

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Assuming the original problem was copied correctly, I would say that you are correct; I get -cot(x) when I solve the problem. In addition I graphed the two curves as a check and they are the same...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook