Simplify using Factoring after Quotient Rule

In summary, in order to simplify the given expression, the common factors of x^2 + 9 and 2x were taken out of the numerator. This resulted in the expression (2x)(x^2 + 9)[-(x^2 + 9) -2(9 - x^2)]. By using the distributive property, the 2x was factored out, resulting in the simplified expression 2x(x^2 - 27)/(x^2 + 9)^3.
Econguy
I am taking an online Introductory Calculus course. I have a decent understanding thus far, however, the problem I'm working on gets somewhat messy and I am having a difficult time simplyifing the answer.

f"(x) = (x^2 + 9)^2 (-2x) - [(9 - x^2)(2)(x^2 + 9)(2x)]/(x^2 + 9)^4

the solutions manual I have been given gives the following simplified answer:

= (2x)(x^2 + 9) [-(x^2 + 9) -2(9 - x^2)]/(x^2 +9)^4

= 2x(x^2 - 27)/(x^2 + 9)^3

I am having a difficult time understanding the factoring involved in the algebraic simplification. I understand how to factor by grouping, trinomials etc. but I just can't seem to understand this. If someone could help fill in the missing steps that my solutions manual doesn't include it would be a great help. Even providing an explanation on the steps involved would help me understand the process much better.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the numerator, (x^2 + 9)^2 (-2x) - (9 - x^2)(2)(x^2 + 9)(2x), the two terms have common factors of x^2 + 9 and 2x. If you take these common factors out of the first term, you have 2x(x^2 + 9)[(x^2 + 9)(-1)]. Do the same thing to the second term.

Mark44 said:
In the numerator, (x^2 + 9)^2 (-2x) - (9 - x^2)(2)(x^2 + 9)(2x), the two terms have common factors of x^2 + 9 and 2x. If you take these common factors out of the first term, you have 2x(x^2 + 9)[(x^2 + 9)(-1)]. Do the same thing to the second term.

Thanks for the response: Am I on the right track...

2x(x^2 + 9)[(x^2 + 9)(-1)] - [(2x)(x^2 + 9) (18 - 2x^2)]

at this point I'm not clear how the 2x from the second term disappears (i.e is factored out..).
I understand in what I just did nothing has been factored yet, just rewritten. From this point how does the 2x(x^2 + 9) factor out..

thanks

Econguy said:
Thanks for the response: Am I on the right track...

2x(x^2 + 9)[(x^2 + 9)(-1)] - [(2x)(x^2 + 9) (18 - 2x^2)]
Now use the idea that a * b + a * c = a(b + c); i.e., the distributive law. Here a = 2x(x^2 + 9)
Econguy said:
at this point I'm not clear how the 2x from the second term disappears (i.e is factored out..).
2x = 2x * 1, so there's an implied factor of 1 remaining in the second term.
Econguy said:
I understand in what I just did nothing has been factored yet, just rewritten. From this point how does the 2x(x^2 + 9) factor out..

thanks

1. What is the quotient rule in factoring?

The quotient rule in factoring is a method used to simplify polynomial expressions by dividing the polynomial by one of its factors. This can help to identify common factors and simplify the expression further.

2. When should I use the quotient rule in factoring?

The quotient rule in factoring is used when you have a polynomial expression that can be divided by one of its factors. This is helpful when trying to simplify complex expressions or solve equations.

3. Can the quotient rule be used in conjunction with other factoring techniques?

Yes, the quotient rule can be used in combination with other factoring techniques such as the greatest common factor or the difference of squares. This can help to simplify expressions even further.

4. What are the steps for using the quotient rule in factoring?

The steps for using the quotient rule in factoring are as follows:
1. Identify the polynomial expression that can be divided by one of its factors.
2. Write the expression as a product of the common factor and the remaining expression.
3. Simplify the remaining expression.
4. Check for any additional common factors and simplify further if possible.

5. Can the quotient rule be used to solve equations?

Yes, the quotient rule in factoring can be used to solve equations by simplifying the expressions on both sides of the equation. This can help to isolate the variable and find the solution to the equation.