1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplify using Factoring after Quotient Rule

1. Aug 26, 2010 #1
    I am taking an online Introductory Calculus course. I have a decent understanding thus far, however, the problem I'm working on gets somewhat messy and I am having a difficult time simplyifing the answer.

f"(x) = (x^2 + 9)^2 (-2x) - [(9 - x^2)(2)(x^2 + 9)(2x)]/(x^2 + 9)^4

the solutions manual I have been given gives the following simplified answer:

= (2x)(x^2 + 9) [-(x^2 + 9) -2(9 - x^2)]/(x^2 +9)^4

= 2x(x^2 - 27)/(x^2 + 9)^3

I am having a difficult time understanding the factoring involved in the algebraic simplification. I understand how to factor by grouping, trinomials etc. but I just can't seem to understand this. If someone could help fill in the missing steps that my solutions manual doesn't include it would be a great help. Even providing an explanation on the steps involved would help me understand the process much better.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In the numerator, (x^2 + 9)^2 (-2x) - (9 - x^2)(2)(x^2 + 9)(2x), the two terms have common factors of x^2 + 9 and 2x. If you take these common factors out of the first term, you have 2x(x^2 + 9)[(x^2 + 9)(-1)]. Do the same thing to the second term.

4. Aug 26, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the response: Am I on the right track...

2x(x^2 + 9)[(x^2 + 9)(-1)] - [(2x)(x^2 + 9) (18 - 2x^2)]

at this point I'm not clear how the 2x from the second term disappears (i.e is factored out..).
    I understand in what I just did nothing has been factored yet, just rewritten. From this point how does the 2x(x^2 + 9) factor out..

thanks

5. Aug 26, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Now use the idea that a * b + a * c = a(b + c); i.e., the distributive law. Here a = 2x(x^2 + 9)
    2x = 2x * 1, so there's an implied factor of 1 remaining in the second term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook