Simplifying a circuit in order to find the current

In summary: I got 9.6 Ohms.In summary, the book says that the equivalent resistor at terminals (a,b) is 9Ω. I'm not sure how to get that answer.
november1992

Homework Statement

I solved my original question so I posted another one.
http://i.imgur.com/dpevY.png
Find [itex]R_{eq}[/itex] at terminals (c,d)

Homework Equations

[itex]R_{eq}[/itex] in series = Ʃ R
[itex]R_{eq}[/itex] in parallel = [itex]\frac{1}{R_{1}}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{R_{2}}[/itex] + ...+ [itex]\frac{1}{R_{n}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think any of the resistors are in series or parallel.

For the equivalent resistor at terminals (a,b) the book says that it's 9Ω. I'm not sure how to get that answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
november1992 said:
For the equivalent resistor at terminals (a,b) the book says that it's 9Ω. I'm not sure how to get that answer.

If that resistor lacking a label at the (b) terminal is also 5 Ohms, then the minimum possible resistance at (a,b) will be 10 Ohms. Is that a 5 Ohm resistor there?

Oh I drew the circuit wrong. There isn't supposed to be a resistor there. I uploaded the correct version

november1992 said:
Oh I drew the circuit wrong. There isn't supposed to be a resistor there. I uploaded the correct version

Okay, now it makes sense.

When you go to solve the problem, keep in mind that any "dangling" components without a closed path for current to flow will not contribute to the circuit and may be ignored (erased from consideration). When you go looking for the resistance between terminals c and d, you can erase the terminal a and its 5 Ohm resistor, as well as the terminal b lead.

Alright, that makes much more sense. I got 12 ohms for the equivalent resistance.

november1992 said:
Alright, that makes much more sense. I got 12 ohms for the equivalent resistance.

Doesn't look right. Can you elaborate the steps you took?

I added the 3, 6 and 3 ohm resistors in series into a 12 ohm resistor. I then added the 6 ohm resistor that's in parallel with the 12 ohm resistor to make a 4 ohm resistor. Then I added that with the other two 5 ohm resistors.

I got 14 ohms now, I think i just added wrong.

Yes, that looks better :smile:

I make it 8.6 Ohms.

CWatters said:
I make it 8.6 Ohms.

How so? Remember, terminals c-d will be open circuited so those 5Ω resistors at that end won't play any role.

oops I can't add up. Should be 12//6 + 5 = 9.

1. How do you simplify a circuit?

To simplify a circuit, you need to identify all the components in the circuit and their respective values. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's Laws and Ohm's Law to simplify the circuit by combining components in series and parallel.

2. Why is it important to simplify a circuit?

By simplifying a circuit, you can reduce the complexity and make it easier to analyze and calculate the current flowing through it. This can also help in troubleshooting and identifying potential issues in the circuit.

3. What is the formula for finding current in a simplified circuit?

The formula for finding current in a simplified circuit is I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms. This is based on Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

4. Can a circuit be simplified if it contains both series and parallel components?

Yes, a circuit can be simplified even if it contains both series and parallel components. You can use a combination of Kirchhoff's Laws and Ohm's Law to simplify the circuit and calculate the overall current.

5. Are there any online tools or software available to simplify a circuit?

Yes, there are many online tools and software available that can help you simplify a circuit and calculate the current. Some examples include CircuitLab, Falstad Circuit Simulator, and Multisim Live. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of circuit analysis and laws before using these tools.