Simplifying a fraction (block reduction, control)

In summary: No problem, happy to help. The reason the second 4 disappears is because it is being divided by 4 on the bottom and multiplied by 4 on the top, so they cancel out. When simplifying fractions, it's important to remember that you can only cancel out common factors that are being multiplied or divided on opposite sides of the fraction line.
Bringitondown

Homework Statement

2*3*4*5/4+3*4*4*6

Homework Equations

2*3*4*5/4+3*4*4*6

The Attempt at a Solution

2*3*5/1+3*4*6

Knowledge gap 1 - I do not understand why if top and bottom are divided through by 4 there should be a 4 left in the denominator and why the rest of the numerators and denomenators are not divided through by 4.

I think I am just needing a prompt in the right direction here

Any help would be greatley apprecited.

I have attched photos to show where this comes from. Th blue pen working (337) is where I have changed the original problem (335) from letters to numbers to allow me to attempt to make more snse of it.

IMAG0335.JPG
IMAG0337.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Bringitondown said:
Knowledge gap 1 - I do not understand why if top and bottom are divided through by 4 there should be a 4 left in the denominator and why the rest of the numerators and denomenators are not divided through by 4
How many 4's are there in 3*4*4*6?

Samy_A said:
2 obviously

Samy_A said:
I was thinking why two of the 4's come out on the bottom line and only one on the top. Is this because the two 4's on the bottom line are from different expresions?

The 30/72 on the lower right is not correct. if you strike 4 it means you divide by four. The quotient is 1. So you get 30/(1+72) = 120/292 and all is right.

Bringitondown said:
2 obviously
So when you simplify your fraction by removing one 4 in each term, why should the second 4 in 3*4*4*6 just disappear?

BvU said:
The 30/72 on the lower right is not correct. if you strike 4 it means you divide by four. The quotient is 1. So you get 30/(1+72) = 120/292 and all is right.
yes I have since noticed this, thanks. Appreciated

Let $$A = {G_2\,G_3\,G_4\over 1+ G_3\,G_4\,H_3}$$ and we want to look at $$ {A\over 1 + {H_2\over G_4}A}\ ,$$ right ? So we have $$
{{ G_2\,G_3\,G_4\over 1+ G_3\,G_4\,H_3} \over 1 + { G_2\,G_3\,G_4\over 1+ G_3\,G_4\,H_3}\ { H_2\over G_4}} \quad
= \quad {{ G_2\,G_3\,G_4\over 1+ G_3\,G_4\,H_3} \over 1 + { G_2\,G_3\,G_4\, H_2 \over G_4+ G_3\,G_4\,G_4\,H_3}} \quad \equiv B
$$ the block where your pen is pointing at (I call it ##B## for now). Then the dividing out of ##G_4##:

$$ { G_2\,G_3\,G_4\, H_2 \over G_4+ G_3\,G_4\,G_4\,H_3}\quad = \quad { G_2\,G_3\,G_4\, H_2 \over G_4 ( 1 + G_3\,G_4\,H_3) } \quad = \quad
{G_4\over G_4}\, { G_2\,G_3\, H_2 \over 1 + G_3\,G_4\,H_3 }
\quad = \quad
{ G_2\,G_3\, H_2 \over 1 + G_3\,G_4\,H_3 }
$$
Then he multiplies B with 1 : $$ B\ { 1 + G_3\,G_4\,H_3 \over 1 + G_3\,G_4\,H_3 } \quad = \quad
{G_2\,G_3\,G_4\over 1+ G_3\,G_4\,H_3 + G_2\,G_3\, H_2 } $$

and this times ##G_1## yields the next rectangular block.

etc.
--

Likes gracy
Crystal clear, thanks very much BvU.

Attachments

• Crystal.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 319
--[/QUOTE]
Please if you have the time BvU can you help me fill in the step in the attached.
Sorry that should also read C(S)/R(S) =
Thanks
IMAG0341.jpg

Bringitondown said:
2*3*4*5/4+3*4*4*6
The above does not agree with what you wrote in the image you attached. Because of the higher precedence of division over addition, the above is the same as ##2\cdot 3 \cdot 4 \cdot \frac 5 4 + 3 \cdot 4 \cdot 4 \cdot 6##

To match what you wrote in the image, you need parentheses around the entire denominator, like so:
2 * 3 * 4 * 5 / (4 + 3 * 4 * 4* 6)

Mark44 said:
The above does not agree with what you wrote in the image you attached. Because of the higher precedence of division over addition, the above is the same as ##2\cdot 3 \cdot 4 \cdot \frac 5 4 + 3 \cdot 4 \cdot 4 \cdot 6##

To match what you wrote in the image, you need parentheses around the entire denominator, like so:
2 * 3 * 4 * 5 / (4 + 3 * 4 * 4* 6)
Ok fair enough.

Bringitondown said:
the step in the attached picture C(S)/R(S) =
Sure: multiplying with 1 is allowed, so here goes:$$
{C\over R} =
{ I\, S^2 \over I\, S^2\, } \ { {K_1\,K_2 \over I\, S^2} \over
1 + {K_1\,K_2\,K_3 \over I \, S } + {K_1\,K_2\over I\, S^2} } =
{ { I\, S^2 }\ {K_1\,K_2 \over I\, S^2}
\over {I\, S^2\, } \left ( 1 + {K_1\,K_2\, K_3 \over I\, S} + {K_1\,K_2\over I\, S^2}\right ) } =
{K_1\,K_2\over I\, S^2 + {K_1\,K_2\,K_3\, S} + {K_1\,K_2} } $$

BvU said:
Sure: multiplying with 1 is allowed, so here goes:$$
{C\over R} =
{ I\, S^2 \over I\, S^2\, } \ { {K_1\,K_2 \over I\, S^2} \over
1 + {K_1\,K_2\,K_3 \over I \, S } + {K_1\,K_2\over I\, S^2} } =
{ { I\, S^2 }\ {K_1\,K_2 \over I\, S^2}
\over {I\, S^2\, } \left ( 1 + {K_1\,K_2\, K_3 \over I\, S} + {K_1\,K_2\over I\, S^2}\right ) } =
{K_1\,K_2\over I\, S^2 + {K_1\,K_2\,K_3\, S} + {K_1\,K_2} } $$

Thats fantastic BvU, once again crystal clear,

Samy_A said:
So when you simplify your fraction by removing one 4 in each term, why should the second 4 in 3*4*4*6 just disappear?
Just rusty on the syplifying. Thanks

Likes Samy_A

1. What is simplifying a fraction?

Simplifying a fraction, also known as reducing a fraction, is the process of finding an equivalent fraction with smaller numbers in the numerator and denominator. This is done by dividing the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor (GCF).

2. Why is it important to simplify fractions?

Simplifying fractions allows us to work with smaller and more manageable numbers, making calculations and comparisons easier. It also helps us to understand the relationship between different fractions and recognize equivalent fractions.

3. What is block reduction in simplifying fractions?

Block reduction is a method of simplifying fractions that involves breaking down the numerator and denominator into smaller factors and cancelling out any common factors. This can be done by using a factor tree or by listing out the factors of each number.

4. How do I know when a fraction is already simplified?

A fraction is considered to be simplified when the numerator and denominator do not have any common factors other than 1. In other words, the GCF of the numerator and denominator is 1. This means that the fraction cannot be reduced any further.

5. Can I simplify a fraction with variables?

Yes, fractions with variables can also be simplified by finding the GCF of the coefficients and variables in the numerator and denominator and dividing them out. However, if the variables have exponents, they must have the same exponent in order to be able to cancel out.