Simplifying an ODE into explicit form

In summary, the general solutions for the two separable equations are \frac{y^{2}}{2}+e^{y} = \frac{x^{2}}{2}-e^{-x}+C and -e^{-x}+C = te^{t}-e^{t}. The first equation cannot be simplified into explicit form, but the second equation can be solved for x using logarithms.
cooljosh2k2

Homework Statement

So i think i found the general solutions to both these separable equations, but I am not sure if I am suppose to simplify any further to get it in explicit form, and how i can even do that.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{x+e^{-x}}{y+e^{y}}[/itex] = 0

2. [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = te[itex]^{x+t}[/itex]

For 1), i get [itex]\frac{y^{2}}{2}[/itex]+e[itex]^{y}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{x^{2}}{2}[/itex]-e[itex]^{-x}[/itex]+C

and for 2) i get:

-e[itex]^{-x}[/itex]+C = te[itex]^{t}[/itex]-e[itex]^{t}[/itex]

Are these right? and is there anyway to simplify them into explicit form? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
They are both correct. You can't solve the first one for y explicitly with the usual functions. You could solve the second for x if you wanted to using logarithms.

What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes how a function changes over time. It involves the function itself and its derivatives with respect to one or more independent variables.

Why do we need to simplify an ODE into explicit form?

Simplifying an ODE into explicit form makes it easier to solve and manipulate. It also allows us to better understand the behavior and relationships of the variables involved in the equation.

How do you simplify an ODE into explicit form?

To simplify an ODE into explicit form, you need to isolate the highest order derivative term on one side of the equation and the remaining terms on the other side. Then, you can solve for the highest order derivative term by successively integrating the equation.

What are the benefits of simplifying an ODE into explicit form?

Simplifying an ODE into explicit form allows us to solve for the function explicitly, which means we can find the exact solution at a given point. This can help us make predictions and understand the behavior of the system described by the ODE.

Are there any limitations to simplifying an ODE into explicit form?

Yes, some ODEs may not be able to be simplified into explicit form. In these cases, numerical methods or other techniques may be used to approximate a solution. Additionally, simplifying an ODE into explicit form may result in a more complex or cumbersome equation, which can make it difficult to interpret or solve.