Simplifying entropy for a harmonic oscillator in the limit of large N

In summary, the entropy of a classical harmonic oscillator (Z), as expressed in terms of fugacity and amplitude, can be written as:\frac{S}{k}=N[1+\log(\frac{kT}{\hbar \omega})]
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey guys,

So I have this equation for the entropy of a classical harmonic oscillator:

[itex]\frac{S}{k}=N[\frac{Tf'(T)}{f(T)}-\log z]-\log (1-zf(T))[/itex]

where [itex]z=e^{\frac{\mu}{kT}}[/itex] is the fugacity, and [itex]f(T)=\frac{kT}{\hbar \omega}[/itex].

I have to show that, "in the limit of large N, this entropy becomes the following":

[itex]\frac{S}{k}=N[1+\log(\frac{kT}{\hbar \omega})]=N[1+\log f(T)][/itex]

Homework Equations

None that I know of

The Attempt at a Solution

So all I've done is plugged in the expression for f(T) and f'(T) into the entropy, to get this:

[itex]\frac{S}{k}=N(1-\log z)-\log (1-z\frac{kT}{\hbar \omega})[/itex]

But i don't know what to do when N becomes large...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again...
So first, observe that from the summation form of Z (in your previous post):
N = z[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial z}[/itex]logZ
Use that with the explicit form of Z you found there, take the limit N>>1 and see what happens...
Also, in this limit what should you do with the terms that are not multiplied by N?

Hey!

Yea you get [itex]N=\frac{zf(T)}{1-zf(T)}[/itex]. If this is to become much greater than 1, then [itex]zf(T) \rightarrow 1[/itex]. And anything that's not multiplied with N can take a hike! but i tried this, i don't get very far...but just to confirm, we only vary T, right? since we held [itex]\mu , V[/itex] constant when we found the entropy...?

Last edited:
You have all you need to express the solution. You found that:
S/k = N(1 – logz) – log(1 –zf)
But then in the limit N >>1, you also found that the second term can be discarded and for the first:
zf = 1 (or in other terms z = 1/f)
Just put it together!

Okay let me be a bit more specific with what I did.

Start with

[itex]\frac{S}{k}= N[\frac{Tf'(T)}{f(T)}-\log z]-\log (1-zf(T))[/itex]

Using f(T) = kT/hbar ω, we get

[itex]\frac{S}{k}=N[1-\log z]-\log (1-z\frac{kT}{\hbar \omega})[/itex]

Clearly [itex]\log z = \frac{\mu}{kT}[/itex], but the problem is the expression [itex]-\log (1-zf(T))[/itex]...I tried to manipulate it as follows:

[itex]-\log (1-zf(T))=\log (1-zf(T))^{-1}[/itex], then using a first order taylor expansion:

[itex](1-zf(T))^{-1} \approx 1+zf(T)[/itex]

Then the only way you can get a log(zf(T)) term is if you ignore the 1...so finally i get this

[itex]N[1-\log z]+\log(1+zf(T))[/itex]...but I am stuck!

okay i'll try that...sorry i guess i was typing while you were typing!

Yep i got it...thanks a bunch again!

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In other words, it quantifies the number of possible arrangements or states that a system can have.

How is entropy related to a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a physical system that oscillates with a regular pattern. The entropy of a harmonic oscillator is related to the number of energy states that the oscillator can have.

What does "simplifying entropy" mean?

Simplifying entropy refers to finding a simpler and more manageable expression for the entropy of a system. In the case of a harmonic oscillator, it involves finding an expression for the entropy in the limit of a large number of energy states (N).

Why is the limit of large N important in simplifying entropy for a harmonic oscillator?

In the limit of large N, the number of energy states for a harmonic oscillator becomes very large, making it difficult to calculate the entropy directly. Therefore, finding a simplified expression can help in understanding the behavior of the system and making predictions.

What are some applications of simplifying entropy for a harmonic oscillator in the limit of large N?

Simplifying entropy for a harmonic oscillator in the limit of large N has various applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can help in understanding the behavior of complex systems, such as polymers and gases, and in designing efficient energy storage and conversion devices.