Simplifying entropy for a harmonic oscillator in the limit of large N

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Dixanadu
Messages
250
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Hey guys,

So I have this equation for the entropy of a classical harmonic oscillator:

[itex]\frac{S}{k}=N[\frac{Tf'(T)}{f(T)}-\log z]-\log (1-zf(T))[/itex]

where [itex]z=e^{\frac{\mu}{kT}}[/itex] is the fugacity, and [itex]f(T)=\frac{kT}{\hbar \omega}[/itex].

I have to show that, "in the limit of large N, this entropy becomes the following":

[itex]\frac{S}{k}=N[1+\log(\frac{kT}{\hbar \omega})]=N[1+\log f(T)][/itex]


Homework Equations



None that I know of


The Attempt at a Solution



So all I've done is plugged in the expression for f(T) and f'(T) into the entropy, to get this:

[itex]\frac{S}{k}=N(1-\log z)-\log (1-z\frac{kT}{\hbar \omega})[/itex]

But i don't know what to do when N becomes large...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again...
So first, observe that from the summation form of Z (in your previous post):
N = z[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial z}[/itex]logZ
Use that with the explicit form of Z you found there, take the limit N>>1 and see what happens...
Also, in this limit what should you do with the terms that are not multiplied by N?
 
Hey!

Yea you get [itex]N=\frac{zf(T)}{1-zf(T)}[/itex]. If this is to become much greater than 1, then [itex]zf(T) \rightarrow 1[/itex]. And anything that's not multiplied with N can take a hike! but i tried this, i don't get very far...but just to confirm, we only vary T, right? since we held [itex]\mu , V[/itex] constant when we found the entropy...?
 
Last edited:
You have all you need to express the solution. You found that:
S/k = N(1 – logz) – log(1 –zf)
But then in the limit N >>1, you also found that the second term can be discarded and for the first:
zf = 1 (or in other terms z = 1/f)
Just put it together!
 
Okay let me be a bit more specific with what I did.

Start with

[itex]\frac{S}{k}= N[\frac{Tf'(T)}{f(T)}-\log z]-\log (1-zf(T))[/itex]

Using f(T) = kT/hbar ω, we get

[itex]\frac{S}{k}=N[1-\log z]-\log (1-z\frac{kT}{\hbar \omega})[/itex]

Clearly [itex]\log z = \frac{\mu}{kT}[/itex], but the problem is the expression [itex]-\log (1-zf(T))[/itex]...I tried to manipulate it as follows:

[itex]-\log (1-zf(T))=\log (1-zf(T))^{-1}[/itex], then using a first order taylor expansion:

[itex](1-zf(T))^{-1} \approx 1+zf(T)[/itex]

Then the only way you can get a log(zf(T)) term is if you ignore the 1...so finally i get this

[itex]N[1-\log z]+\log(1+zf(T))[/itex]...but I am stuck!
 
okay i'll try that...sorry i guess i was typing while you were typing!