1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying Equation With Square Root

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An equation in a book lists this equation:
    (c - 18)[tex]^{2}[/tex] = (-3[tex]\sqrt{c})[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]

And it simplifies it as:
    c[tex]^{2}[/tex] -45c + 324 = 0

2. The attempt at a solution
    When I do out the equation, I get:
    c[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 324 = 9 + c

i squared c, then -18 for the left side of the equation, then for the right side, I squared -3 to get 9, then [tex]\sqrt{c}[/tex], which is c.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi kwikness and welcome to PF,

Firstly, note that;

[tex]\left(a+b\right)^2 \neq a^2+b^2[/tex]

[tex]\left(a+b\right)^2 = \left(a+b\right)\cdot\left(a+b\right) = a^2 +2ab + b^2[/tex]

[tex](-3)^2 \neq 324[/tex]

And thirdly;

[tex](a\cdot b)^2 \neq a^2+b^2[/tex]

[tex](a\cdot b)^2 = a^2\cdot b^2[/tex]
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  4. Jan 26, 2008 #3
    Sorry, I meant 9 =)

I made my mistake when I forgot to "FOIL" the left-hand side of the equation. When I do so, I get:

C[tex]^{2}[/tex] -45c + 324 = 0

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. I'm in a bit of a situation. I'm a good student in my 4th semester of college. In high school, I was able to slide by my math classes. I half-assed Algebra I, did okay in Geometry, and took no other math courses. Now I find myself in Calculus I, 5 years after my last math class. The first thing my professor said was, "You're not going to pass this course unless you've had Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus.", which I haven't. I'm now trying to backtrack and learn these courses myself with the aid of video tutorials and practicing problems on my own time. I excel in every subject at school but math. It's such a weakness for me and I'm now just starting to do something about it.

Any pointers are appreciated, thanks again for your help.
  5. Jan 27, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

One needs to know the solution to the quadratic equation.

Alternatively, one recognizes (c+a)(c+b) = c2 + (a+b)c + ab = c2 - 45c + 324, so what does one do with corresponding coefficients?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?