Why is the square root of x^2 = |x|?

Ebby
Homework Statement
Why is the square root of x^2 = |x|?
Relevant Equations
sqrt(x^2) = |x|
If I reason this as follows, I run into problems. Please help me understand what is wrong with reasoning like this.

a) I start with the left hand side of the equation and let that x be -2.
b) I square it. This gives me 4. So I now have the square root of 4.
c) The square root of 4 is +/- 2. The left hand side is now +/-2.
d) I now let the x of the right hand side of the equation be -2.
e) I take the magnitude, which is 2. The right hand side is now 2.

Overall, I now have +/-2 = -2, which is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ebby said:
The square root of 4 is +/- 2.
Yes, but sqrt(), or√, is a function and therefore single valued. It is defined as the positive square root.

Likes Ebby
Ebby said:
Homework Statement: Why is the square root of x^2 = |x|?
Relevant Equations: sqrt(x^2) = |x|

If I reason this as follows, I run into problems. Please help me understand what is wrong with reasoning like this.

a) I start with the left hand side of the equation and let that x be -2.
b) I square it. This gives me 4. So I now have the square root of 4.
c) The square root of 4 is +/- 2. The left hand side is now +/-2.
d) I now let the x of the right hand side of the equation be -2.
e) I take the magnitude, which is 2. The right hand side is now 2.

Overall, I now have +/-2 = -2, which is wrong.
It depends somewhat on what you are trying to do.

The ##\sqrt{}## function is a function: it must be single valued. By convention, we choose to take the positive branch, so ##\sqrt{4} = 2##, not ##\pm2##.

If you want to solve ##x^2 = 4## then what you need to do is this:
##x^2 = 4##

##x^2 - 4 = 0##

##(x + 2)(x - 2) = 0##

Thus either ##x + 2 = 0 \implies x = -2## or ##x - 2 = 0 \implies x = 2##, so ##x = \pm 2##.

-Dan

Likes Ebby
Ebby said:
Homework Statement: Why is the square root of x^2 = |x|?
Relevant Equations: sqrt(x^2) = |x|

c) The square root of 4 is +/- 2.
This statement is problematic because "+/- 2" is not a number. It is a pair of numbers, namely, "+2, -2". We cannot equate a pair of numbers on one side with one number on the other side of an equation. Thus, we cannot conclude that, "The left hand side is now +/-2", and consequently, cannot conclude the rest of the reasoning, i.e., parts d) and e).

Likes Ebby, jack action and topsquark
With both ##x^2## and ##|x|## you have a pair of numbers (positive and negative values) that leads you to the same answer.

On the left-hand side, you are solving ##x^2## and then reversing it, giving you the pair of numbers. To be fair, you should do the same on the right-hand side:
$$\sqrt{x^2} = ±|x|$$

Likes Ebby, DaveE and Hill
jack action said:
With both ##x^2## and ##|x|## you have a pair of numbers (positive and negative values) that leads you to the same answer.

On the left-hand side, you are solving ##x^2## and then reversing it, giving you the pair of numbers. To be fair, you should do the same on the right-hand side:
$$\sqrt{x^2} = ±|x|$$
This is wrong. ##\sqrt x##, by definition, is a positive number.

Likes Ebby and topsquark
PeroK said:
This is wrong. ##\sqrt x##, by definition, is a positive number.
Let me rewrite that for the purists while still considering the OP's questioning:
$$±\sqrt{x^2} = ±|x|$$
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_root said:
Every positive number ##x## has two square roots: ##\sqrt{x}## (which is positive) and ##-\sqrt {x}## (which is negative). The two roots can be written more concisely using the ##±## sign as ##±\sqrt {x}##.

Likes Ebby
jack action said:
Let me rewrite that for the purists while still considering the OP's questioning:
$$±\sqrt{x^2} = ±|x|$$
That says no more or less than ##\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##. If ##a =b## then ##-a = -b##.

Likes Ebby
PeroK said:
That says no more or less than ##\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##. If ##a =b## then ##-a = -b##.
Your equation says basically ##a=a## where ##a## is the absolute value of ##x##. Mine says##\{-x, x\} = \{-x, x\}##. The OP is mixing both concepts by saying ##\{-x, x\} = a##.

Likes Ebby
jack action said:
Your equation says basically ##a=a## where ##a## is the absolute value of ##x##. Mine says##\{-x, x\} = \{-x, x\}##. The OP is mixing both concepts by saying ##\{-x, x\} = a##.
Or rather, ##\{-x, x\} = \{a\}##

Likes Ebby and jack action
For the equation x^2-1=0, there are two answers, 1 and -1.

You can solve the equation by quadratic formula:

x= (0 +/- sqrt(0-4(1)(-1)) / 2(1) =+/-sqrt(4)/2
x= +/-1

or solve by simpler factorization

(x+1)(x-1)=0

which is true for:

(-1+1)(-1-1)
and for
(1+1)(1-1)

But definitionally, the square root function is the positive answer to the question of what number squared is x^2. The quadratic formula gives the +/- outside of the square root function.

Your confusion is between the answer to what number squared is 1 and what is the square root of 1. The square root is 1. There are two numbers that when squared are 1, +1 and -1. It is a trivial difference and that is easy to get sloppy about.

Likes Ebby
votingmachine said:
Your confusion is between the answer to what number squared is 1 and what is the square root of 1
I disagree. “The square root" is not a function. There are two square roots, just as there are n nth roots of unity. sqrt and √ are functions, returning the positive square root.

Likes Ebby
jack action said:
That's not right, either. ##\pm## denotes an ordered pair, whereas a set is unordered.

Likes Ebby
To summarise what I believe to be the mainstream mathematical view on this. It's important for any student to understand that for all real numbers ##x##
$$\sqrt {x^2} = |x|$$Without any quibbles or embellishments.

Likes Ebby
This was interesting to read. Thank you all for helping.

Likes Lnewqban and PeroK

1. Why is the square root of x^2 always positive?

The square root of a number is defined as the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. Since multiplying a positive number by itself always results in a positive number, the square root of x^2 will always be positive.

2. Can the square root of x^2 ever be negative?

No, the square root of x^2 can never be negative. As mentioned before, the square root of a number is always positive. Even if x is a negative number, x^2 will always be positive, and therefore the square root of x^2 will also be positive.

3. Why is the absolute value of x used in the equation instead of just x?

The absolute value of a number is defined as the distance of that number from 0 on a number line. This means that the absolute value of any number is always positive. By using the absolute value of x, we ensure that the result will always be positive, regardless of whether x is positive or negative.

4. How does this equation relate to the concept of inverse operations?

The square root of x^2 is the inverse operation of squaring a number. This means that if we square a number and then take the square root of the result, we will get back the original number. In this case, the square root of x^2 is equivalent to taking the absolute value of x.

5. Is there a real-world application for this equation?

Yes, the concept of the square root of x^2 = |x| is commonly used in physics and engineering. For example, when calculating the distance between two points on a coordinate plane, we use the Pythagorean theorem, which involves taking the square root of the sum of squared values. This is essentially the same as finding the absolute value of a number.