Simplifying the Right Side of a Fraction Equation

Hmm, I was hoping someone would figure that out on their own. Oh well...So you have the equations -A-C=0, 4A+4B+4C=24 and -8A+8B-8C=-68.Why did you use equations 1 and 2 to solve for B? 24/4= 6. What is wrong with that?You have three equations in three unknowns, A, B, and C. You should be able to solve those for A, B, and C. (And yes, A can be different from B and C.)RGV
molly16
Calculus Homework Help!

Homework Statement

Determine the values of A, B, and C if the following is true:

11x^2-14x+9/(3x-1)(x^2+1) = A/3x-1 + Bx+C/x^2+1

(Hint: Simplify the right side by combining fractions and comparing numerators)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost right now. Can someone please explain this?
I tried simplifying the right side. Then I cross multiplied the denominators and ended up with a huge equation that makes no sense.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

molly16 said:
Then I cross multiplied the denominators and ended up with a huge equation that makes no sense.

Can you show us the equation you got? From the sound of it you are on the right track. All you need to do is equate coefficients.

Yup, you got to get a common denominator on the right hand side. Then realize if the two fractions on the right and left hand side are equal, so the two numerators are equal. From there you can tell what the coefficients are on the right hand side from the left hand side.

molly16 said:

Homework Statement

Determine the values of A, B, and C if the following is true:

11x^2-14x+9/(3x-1)(x^2+1) = A/3x-1 + Bx+C/x^2+1

(Hint: Simplify the right side by combining fractions and comparing numerators)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost right now. Can someone please explain this?
I tried simplifying the right side. Then I cross multiplied the denominators and ended up with a huge equation that makes no sense.

I cannot figure out what your expression is. It reads as [tex]11x^2-14x+\frac{9}{3x-1}(x^2+1), [/tex] but maybe you meant
[tex]11x^2-14x+\frac{9}{(3x-1)(x^2+1)}, \text{ or } \frac{11x^2-14x+9}{ (3x-1)(x^2+1)}. [/tex] If you want people to know what you mean you need to use brackets; for example, the last expression above can be entered in plain text as (11x^2-14x+9)/[(3x-1)(x^2+1)]. The same holds on the right: what you wrote means [tex] \frac{A}{3}x-1 + Bx+ \frac{C}{x^2}+1, [/tex] but I suspect that is not what you really want.

RGV

Do you remember how to decompose a function into partial fractions?

However, you could use long division to divide out the (x^2+1), but I bet you will run into one problem... the remainder. Come back when that happens. We will have your questions answered.

The original equation was:

(11x^2-14x+9)/[(3x-1)(x^2+1)] = (A)/(3x-1) + (Bx+C/x^2+1)

and I ended up with:
11x^4+19x^3-33x^2+27x = 3Ax^3-Ax^2+3Ax-A+3Bx^4-Bx^3+3Bx^2-Bx+3Cx^3-Cx^2+3Cx-C

I wasn't sure what to do after that.

molly16 said:
The original equation was:

(11x^2-14x+9)/[(3x-1)(x^2+1)] = (A)/(3x-1) + (Bx+C/x^2+1)
I'll be it wasn't! In fact, I'll bet it was
(11x^2-14x+9)/[(3x-1)(x^2+1)] = (A)/(3x-1) + (Bx+C)/(x^2+1)
Do you see the difference?

and I ended up with:
11x^4+19x^3-33x^2+27x = 3Ax^3-Ax^2+3Ax-A+3Bx^4-Bx^3+3Bx^2-Bx+3Cx^3-Cx^2+3Cx-C

I wasn't sure what to do after that.
Now, as others have told you combine "like" coefficients and compare the two sides:
11x^4+ 19x^3- 33x^2+ 27x= 3Bx^4+ (3A- B+ 3C)x^3+ (-A+ 3B- C)x^2+ (3A- B+ 3C)x+ (-A- C)
so we must have 3B= 11, 3A- B+ 3C= 19, -A+ 3B- C= -33, 3A- B+ 3C= 27, and -A-C= 0, 5 equations for the three coefficients, A, B, C so it may well be "over-determined". I did not check to see if your calculations were correct.

Alternatively, you might just let x be any three numbers, say 0, 1, and -1, in order to get three equations for A, B, and C.

HallsofIvy said:
I'll be it wasn't! In fact, I'll bet it was
(11x^2-14x+9)/[(3x-1)(x^2+1)] = (A)/(3x-1) + (Bx+C)/(x^2+1)
Do you see the difference?

Oh oops. Sorry about that

HallsofIvy said:
Now, as others have told you combine "like" coefficients and compare the two sides:
11x^4+ 19x^3- 33x^2+ 27x= 3Bx^4+ (3A- B+ 3C)x^3+ (-A+ 3B- C)x^2+ (3A- B+ 3C)x+ (-A- C)
so we must have 3B= 11, 3A- B+ 3C= 19, -A+ 3B- C= -33, 3A- B+ 3C= 27, and -A-C= 0, 5 equations for the three coefficients, A, B, C so it may well be "over-determined". I did not check to see if your calculations were correct.

Alternatively, you might just let x be any three numbers, say 0, 1, and -1, in order to get three equations for A, B, and C.

I let x be 0, 1, and -1 and ended up with the equations -A-C=0, 4A+4B+4C=24 and -8A+8B-8C=-68. Then I used equation 1 and 2 to solve for B . I got B=6 but in our textbook (nelson calculus and vectors 12) it says that B=2. I'm also not sure how you would solve for A and C. I tried and got A=C but in the textbook they are not the same (A=5 and C=-4)

Just use decomposition to partial fractions actually.

have this:

A/3x-1 + Bx+C/x^2+1 as your premise...

Now if 11x^2-14x+9/(3x-1)(x^2+1) = A/3x-1 + Bx+C/x^2+1, then

11x^2-14x+9=A(x^2+1) + (Bx+C)(3x-1)

11x^2-14x+9=Ax^2 + 1 + 3Bx^2 + Bx + 3Cx + C...

A + 3B=11
A + C=9
B + 3C=-14 so on and so fourth.

Rayquesto said:
Just use decomposition to partial fractions actually.

have this:

A/3x-1 + Bx+C/x^2+1 as your premise...

Now if 11x^2-14x+9/(3x-1)(x^2+1) = A/3x-1 + Bx+C/x^2+1, then...

Ray, try to use parentheses correctly when helping other people so as to not confuse them! What Ray meant was:

A/(3x-1) + (Bx+C)/(x^2+1) as your premise...

Now if (11x^2-14x+9)/[(3x-1)(x^2+1)] = A/(3x-1) + (Bx+C)/(x^2+1), then...

Or to not confuse anybody at all..

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{A}{3x-1} + \frac{Bx+C}{x^2+1}[/itex] as your premise...

Now if [itex]\displaystyle\frac{11x^2-14x+9}{(3x-1)(x^2+1)} = \frac{A}{3x-1} + \frac{Bx+C}{x^2+1}[/itex], then...

Related to Simplifying the Right Side of a Fraction Equation

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that studies rates of change and accumulation. It is divided into two main branches: differential calculus, which deals with rates of change and slopes of curves, and integral calculus, which deals with the accumulation of quantities and the area under curves.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it is used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics, to solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation. It also provides the foundation for higher-level math courses, such as differential equations and multivariable calculus.

3. How can I get help with my Calculus homework?

You can get help with your Calculus homework by seeking assistance from a tutor, attending office hours with your teacher or professor, joining a study group, or using online resources such as practice problems and instructional videos.

4. What are some common topics covered in Calculus homework?

Some common topics covered in Calculus homework include limits, derivatives, integrals, optimization, and curve sketching. Other topics may include applications of derivatives and integrals, such as related rates, optimization problems, and area/volume calculations.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Calculus concepts?

To improve your understanding of Calculus concepts, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. It can also be helpful to review previous material, make connections between different topics, and apply concepts to real-world situations. Additionally, seeking out multiple resources, such as textbooks and online tutorials, can provide different perspectives and reinforce understanding.