Simplifying Trigonometric Expressions

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying two expressions using Pythagorean identities and factoring techniques. The first expression requires factoring the numerator into (sinθ+cosθ)*(something) and then simplifying further. The second expression is simplified by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by sinθ*cosθ. The conversation also includes some confusion and clarification on how to approach these types of problems.
TrueStar

Homework Statement

I'm not sure if you can ask about two questions in one thread; they are very similar. If it's not allowed I can make a second thread and edit this one.

Simplify the expressions:

1. sin^3 theta + cos^3 theta / sin theta + cos theta

2. 2-tan theta / 2 csc theta-sec theta

Homework Equations

Pythagorean Identities

The Attempt at a Solution

1. if the either of these were squared, they could be equal to 1. I thought that I could get rid of th denominator and make sin^2 and cos^2 that way...and it would simplify to 1. The answer I am given is actually 1-sin theta cos theta. I think this has to factor somehow, but I'm not certain. I'm not used to dealing with problems that look like this yet.

2. I think this has to do with factoring something out as well, but I'm not sure what. I tried changing them all to variations of sin and cos, but nothing clicked for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder how they've got that answer, I don't see anything wrong with what you did. :confused:

What happens if we use the identities

[tex]sin^2 \theta = \frac{1}{2} (1-cos2 \theta)[/tex]

[tex]cos^2 \theta = \frac{1}{2} (1+cos2 \theta)[/tex]

For

[tex]\frac{sin^3 \theta + cos^3 \theta}{sin \theta + cos \theta}[/tex]

you should notice that sin3θ+cos3θ=0 when sinθ=cosθ, so try factoring the numerator as (sinθ+cosθ)*f(θ)

rock.freak667 said:
For

[tex]\frac{sin^3 \theta + cos^3 \theta}{sin \theta + cos \theta}[/tex]

you should notice that sin3θ+cos3θ=0 when sinθ=cosθ, so try factoring the numerator as (sinθ+cosθ)*f(θ)

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Why would sin3theta+cos3theta=0 when sin theta=cos theta. Maybe it's something we haven't covered yet?

We are expected to get the answer from the even odd properties and the Pythagorean Identities.

I apologize if I'm making this difficult. :(

My recommendation for the first problem is to ignore momentarily sine and cosine and focus on how one would simplify

[tex]\frac{a^3+b^3}{a+b}[/tex]

and then deal with the resulting expression.

As for the second problem I am assuming you are working with the expression

[tex]\frac{2-\tan \theta}{2 \csc \theta - \sec \theta}.[/tex]

If not, please correct me. If so, then I'd recommend multiplying the numerator and denominator by [itex]\sin \theta \cdot \cos \theta[/itex] and see if that helps simplify the ratio.

--Elucidus

TrueStar said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand. Why would sin3theta+cos3theta=0 when sin theta=cos theta. Maybe it's something we haven't covered yet?

We are expected to get the answer from the even odd properties and the Pythagorean Identities.

I apologize if I'm making this difficult. :(

I meant that you can factor a3+b3 into (a+b)*(something).

A quick reply for you Elucidus on the first problem. THANK YOU! I get it now. It's the formula (x+y)(x^2-xy+y^2) only with sin and cos. I worked it out on some paper and it fell into place. It's so frustrating when I can't see ways to solve the problem that I've already learned.

As for the second problem, you have the expression correct. I'm going to work on it now.

OK, I've worked through the second problem. I doubted myself on this one. I changed everything to sin/cos and thought about multiplying everything by sin and cos. I thought that wasn't right and I wasn't sure if I was multiplying correctly anyway. I should just try my ideas next time.

Anyway, it all fell into place and I understand how it works. Now I can sleep well tonight. Thank you all so much for your time and patience. :)

1. What is the definition of a trigonometric expression?

A trigonometric expression is an algebraic expression that contains one or more trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, or cosecant.

2. How do you simplify a trigonometric expression?

To simplify a trigonometric expression, you can use trigonometric identities and properties, such as the Pythagorean identities, double-angle identities, and sum and difference identities. You can also use algebraic manipulation techniques, such as factoring and expanding, to simplify the expression.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when simplifying trigonometric expressions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying trigonometric expressions include forgetting to apply the correct trigonometric identity or property, not properly distributing negative signs, and making errors when factoring or expanding the expression. It is important to double-check your work and simplify step-by-step to avoid these mistakes.

4. How do I know when a trigonometric expression is simplified?

A trigonometric expression is simplified when it cannot be simplified any further using trigonometric identities or properties, and all like terms have been combined. The expression should also be in its simplest form, meaning there are no unnecessary parentheses or fractions remaining.

5. Why is it important to simplify trigonometric expressions?

Simplifying trigonometric expressions can make them easier to work with and understand. It can also help in solving equations and identifying patterns or relationships between different trigonometric functions. In addition, simplifying can make calculations and graphing trigonometric functions more efficient.