1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplying a problem with decimals and exponents

1. Jan 19, 2015 #1

Anna Blanksch

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(2.5 x 10^24)(4.5 x 10^-9) / (3 x 10^4)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that when multiplying base ten numbers with exponents you add the exponents (ie: 10^2 x 10^3 = 10^5) ad that when dividing, the exponents are subtracted. I'm not sure what my first step would be towards simplifying this equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Split it into ((2.5 x 4.5)/3) x ((10^24 x 10^(-9))/10^4). Use your exponent rules on the second factor and a calculator on the first factor.

4. Jan 19, 2015 #3

Anna Blanksch

Gold Member

Great! Thanks for your help. Is there a rule/title for the process of converting from the original problem to the way that you split it (separating the base ten numbers)? Also, am I calling those the right thing? Base ten numbers? Should they be called, "base ten exponents"? The answer I got is 3.75 x 10^11. Close? Right on? Thanks again so much for your quick reply!

5. Jan 19, 2015 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right on. I call them "powers of ten", and I don't think it has a name. It's just separating the powers of ten from the other numbers.

6. Jan 19, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What you are seeing is an application of the associative property in multiplication:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associative_property

You can use this property to group strings of numbers being multiplied together into more convenient arrangements.

For example:

(2 * 3) * 4 = 2 * (3 * 4) or
    (2 * 103) * (4 * 102) = (2 * 4) * (103 * 102) = 8 * 105

7. Jan 19, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Poor Anna, in the middle of nitpicking nerds !

I can't resist to point at the sentence "Associativity is not to be confused with commutativity, which addresses whether a × b = b × a." in his majesty's link. However, you need it to get from where you were to where you want to be.

If you go on in maths or physics this kind of attention to detail is essential; for the rest of the world it's just a good idea :)

8. Jan 19, 2015 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's learning the simple things which seems to be overlooked nowadays. Everybody wants to split the atom; nobody wants to learn to use a hammer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted