Clearing decimals by multiplication in an equation

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the distributive and associative properties of multiplication to clear decimals in an equation. It was clarified that the distributive property applies to multiplication over addition, while the associative property applies to multiplication itself. It was also explained that multiplying the LHS by 100 twice is not the same as using the distributive property. Finally, it was confirmed that when multiplying a group of terms by 100, it is equivalent to multiplying each individual term by 100.
DS2C

Homework Statement

In my text, it had a quick side note on solving basic equations. It related to clearing decimals by multiplying by an appropriate factor of ten.

For example,
0.25x + 0.10(x-3) = 1.10

can be cleared of decimals by multiplying the decimals by 100, which would result in

25x + 10(x-3) = 110

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The solution is x=4, but my question is not how to solve it.
My question is in regards to clearing the decimals. How can this equation remain balanced when the left side was multiplied by 100 twice, and the right side was multiplied by 100 once?

Physics news on Phys.org
DS2C said:
My question is in regards to clearing the decimals. How can this equation remain balanced when the left side was multiplied by 100 twice, and the right side was multiplied by 100 once?
Because of the Distributive property of multiplication. Start by multiplying ALL of both sides by 100:

100[0.25x + 0.10(x-3)] = 100[1.10]

Then distribute the 100 on the LHS to both terms, and keep going. Makes sense? Are you familiar with the Distributive property of Multiplication? :smile:

Likes scottdave
Thanks for the response berkeman.
I'm familiar with the distributive property, but I'm still a little confused with this particular situation.

Say we were to use the distributive property, which would look like 100(0.25x + 0.10(x-3)) = (1.10)100. This would turn into 25x + 10(x-3) = 110.

Now say we were to multiple the two individual terms on the left side by 100, which would look like 100(0.25x) + 100(0.10(x-3)) = (1.10)100. This would turn into
25x + 10(x-3) = 110.

So isn't using the distributive property still multiplying the LHS by 100 twice? Maybe I'm assuming something that I shouldn't be, or I'm making a dumb mistake.

DS2C said:
Now say we were to multiple the two individual terms on the left side by 100, which would look like 100(0.25x) + 100(0.10(x-3)) = (1.10)100. This would turn into
25x + 10(x-3) = 110.
Which is the same thing, you have just skipped the explicit Distribution step.
DS2C said:
So isn't using the distributive property still multiplying the LHS by 100 twice?
No, multiplying the LHS by 100 twice would look like this:

100{100[0.25x + 0.10(x-3)]} = 100[1.10]

Which would be wrong...

Ok, so even though two terms are being multiplied by 100, that only counts as multiplying by 100 once?

DS2C said:
Ok, so even though two terms are being multiplied by 100, that only counts as multiplying by 100 once?
I think you might be thinking that the distributive property somehow applies to multiplication. The distributive property is about how multiplication distributes over addition. I.e., that a(b + c) = a * b + a * c. There is no similar property for pure multiplication.

There is, however, the associative property of multiplication (and a property of the same name applies to pure addition). This associative property of multiplication says that a(b * c) = (a * b) * c.

Relative to the problem you posted, 100 * 0.25 * x can be grouped (associated) in two ways: (100 * 0.25) * x, or 100 * (0.25*x). Either way, these simplify to 25x. But, 100 (.25*x) is NOT the same as 100(.25) * 100(x), which is what I think you are trying to do.

Apologies for the last response. Been heavily busy with school work.

Mark44 said:
I think you might be thinking that the distributive property somehow applies to multiplication. The distributive property is about how multiplication distributes over addition. I.e., that a(b + c) = a * b + a * c. There is no similar property for pure multiplication.

There is, however, the associative property of multiplication (and a property of the same name applies to pure addition). This associative property of multiplication says that a(b * c) = (a * b) * c.

Relative to the problem you posted, 100 * 0.25 * x can be grouped (associated) in two ways: (100 * 0.25) * x, or 100 * (0.25*x). Either way, these simplify to 25x. But, 100 (.25*x) is NOT the same as 100(.25) * 100(x), which is what I think you are trying to do.
Actually this is exactly what I thought. I still can't get around thinking of it that way as it looks like 100 is being multiplied by A and then by B, but in looking at it the reverse way I can see how it's really just once. Not sure why this has confused me. I suppose I just took it at face value when I learned it and didn't think through it. What if there were more than two terms? For example 100(a + b + c + d)? This would just equal 100a + 100b + 100c + 100d?

DS2C said:
What if there were more than two terms? For example 100(a + b + c + d)? This would just equal 100a + 100b + 100c + 100d?
Yes.

Thanks for the help guys, its greatly appreciated.

1. What does it mean to clear decimals by multiplication in an equation?

Clearing decimals by multiplication in an equation means getting rid of any decimal numbers in the equation by multiplying both sides of the equation by a number that will make the decimal disappear.

2. Why is it important to clear decimals in an equation?

Clearing decimals in an equation makes it easier to solve for the unknown variable and reduces the risk of making errors during calculations. It also allows for a more accurate and precise solution.

3. How do you clear decimals by multiplication in an equation?

To clear decimals by multiplication in an equation, you need to find a number that can be multiplied to both sides of the equation to eliminate the decimals. This number should be a power of 10, such as 10, 100, or 1000.

4. Can you give an example of clearing decimals by multiplication in an equation?

Sure, let's say we have the equation 0.5x = 2. To clear the decimal, we multiply both sides by 10, giving us 5x = 20. Now we can easily solve for x by dividing both sides by 5, giving us the solution x = 4.

5. Are there any cases where you do not need to clear decimals by multiplication in an equation?

Yes, if the decimals in the equation have the same number of decimal places, you can simply ignore them and solve the equation as usual. However, it is always recommended to clear decimals to avoid potential mistakes.