1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simpson's Rule to find the volume of f(x) rotated about the x and y axis.

1. Jun 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    71iut4.jpg

Answers in the back of the book
    about x-axis= 190
    about y-axis= 828

2. Relevant equations

Simpson's Rule: (dx/3)* sum of(sequence of coefficients {1,4,2....2,4,1}*sequence of function values{f(0), f(1), f(2).....f(n-2),f(n-1), f(n)})

Volume using Shells: 2π ∫ (radius)(height) dx

Volume using Cross-Sections: π ∫ (outer radius)^2 - (inner radius)^2 dx

3. The attempt at a solution
    2h4cjv5.jpg

I found the area (≈) under the curve using Simpson's law, how do i rotate it without a given f(x)? The book doesn't ask for the specific method (either shells or cross-sections), but I'd like to understand how to do both. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The integral for a volume of revolution of ##f(x)## between ##a## and ##b## is$$
    V=\pi\int_a^b f^2(x)dx$$Do Simpson's rule on that, not on the area integral.

4. Jun 21, 2012 #3
    we're not given f(x) though. We're only given the values of f(x)

5. Jun 21, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So you can figure out the values of ##\pi f^2(x)## and do Simpsons rule just like you did for the area.

6. May 26, 2013 #5
    Great question. Would someone please give more details as to combining function and s rule?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted