Simulating the Three Body Problem

• Thread starter Jesperchristiansen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, you need to re-express the equations of motion of the third body in terms of components if you want to solve the problem with it in excel.
Jesperchristiansen
Hello.

I want to simulate the Circular Restricted Three Body Problem in excel, however I don't know how to get started, even though I have the equations of motion.
The Planar, Circular Restricted Three Body Problem assumes that one body, m3, is neglebtaly small, and the two other bodies move around a common center of mass.

Technology news on Phys.org
Jesperchristiansen said:
I want to simulate the Circular Restricted Three Body Problem in excel, however I don't know how to get started, even though I have the equations of motion.
So you need help with Excel?

Yes, I’ve successfully created a two body simulation in Excel. However, I don’t know how to simulate a planer three body problem, even though it should be quite easy.

Jesperchristiansen said:
Yes, I’ve successfully created a two body simulation in Excel. However, I don’t know how to simulate a planer three body problem, even though it should be quite easy.
Then you should ask in the programming sub forum, as this is not really a question about physics.

I move this thread to Programming and Computer Science

So you've got two bodies that are only influenced by each other (i.e. a two-body problem that you say you've already solved) and a third whose equations of motion depend on its position and velocity and the positions of the first two. Where's the problem?

Ibix said:
So you've got two bodies that are only influenced by each other (i.e. a two-body problem that you say you've already solved) and a third whose equations of motion depend on its position and velocity and the positions of the first two. Where's the problem?

I don't know how to insert the equation of motion of the third body in excel, since it includes vectorrelations as shown in this website: http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/~megraw/MATH1/math1.html

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2018-12-18 kl. 08.15.38.png
    Skærmbillede 2018-12-18 kl. 08.15.38.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 476
None of those quantities are vectors in the form written. You could re-express the equations as a single vector equation instead of two equations in terms of components if you wanted.

Thanks a lot. How could I do that?

I'm confused. You've got equations in a non-vectorial format. Presumably you've got some kind of differential equation solver going to have been able to solve the two-body problem. I'm not sure I understand what your difficulties are. Why would you need the equations in a vectorial form? I'm not aware of any way to make Excel handle them, unless you've gone pretty deep into VBA.

1. What is the Three Body Problem and why is it important to simulate?

The Three Body Problem is a mathematical problem that involves predicting the motion of three objects in space under the influence of their mutual gravitational attraction. It is important to simulate because it can help us understand the dynamics of celestial bodies and make predictions about their future movements.

2. What methods are used to simulate the Three Body Problem?

There are several methods used to simulate the Three Body Problem, including the Euler method, the Runge-Kutta method, and the symplectic integrator method. These methods involve solving differential equations to calculate the positions and velocities of the three bodies at different time intervals.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of a simulation of the Three Body Problem?

The accuracy of a simulation of the Three Body Problem can be affected by factors such as the initial conditions of the three bodies, the time step used in the simulation, and the method used to solve the equations. Other factors such as external forces and the presence of additional bodies in the system can also impact the accuracy of the simulation.

4. What are some real-life applications of simulating the Three Body Problem?

Simulating the Three Body Problem has several real-life applications, including predicting the orbits of planets and satellites, understanding the motion of comets and asteroids, and studying the dynamics of binary stars. It is also used in astrophysics research to explore the formation and evolution of planetary systems.

5. Can the Three Body Problem be solved analytically?

No, the Three Body Problem cannot be solved analytically, meaning there is no simple, closed-form solution. This is due to the complexity of the problem and the fact that the equations are nonlinear. Therefore, numerical simulations are necessary to approximate the solutions.