Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulation of a GSHP system in Simulink

1. Sep 20, 2012 #1
    Hello kind people of PF,

I'm working on a project and attempting to simulate a ground source heat pump system in simulink. I have no experience what so ever with matlab or simulink, which isn't helping. Does anybody here have any experience of modelling such systems in this environment?

Just a few pointers on where to start would be great! I've read many papers, journal extracts, websites, manuals but I'm still getting nowhere.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2012 #2
    I've had lots of experience and would like to help, but you try to stay far away from simulink when you don't have to use it and tend to forget it.

4. Sep 21, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

I would like to make a simulation where you can input required heating loads and heat pump type, and the simulation calculates the necessary borehole depth. I would also like to investigate horizontal ground loop heat exchangers aswell f I can figure out a way of doing so.

What simulation environment would you reocmmend?

5. Sep 28, 2012 #4
    I don't see any reason not to use Simulink. Keep in mind I currently have neither subscription so this is from memory but you can definitely build functional boxes in Simulink to do your calculations. You can write a script in MATLAB for the inputs, build your functional boxes in Simulink that take the input references from your script and output the results. The specific commands will require some research but if I remember right are fairly intuitive. You may benefit from just tinkering a bit with MATLAB commands and the Simulink ui since it's graphical.

I would actually think it would be the easiest way to do it. Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook