Novice trouble modeling a system in Simulink

In summary: I think it would make more sense to represent τ(t) as a step function rather than a function that snaps the clutch.
Playbacknick
Greetings,
For the past 5 days i have been learning how to use simulink.I decided to try and model a mechanical system described by the equations in the picture below.I provide a second picture with my work so far.A couple of questions that i have are: a)How do i include the first equation? and b) how do i represent the tau(t) in the second equation? Any suggestions about mistakes are welcome!
Thanks in advance,
Nick

problem.png

simulink2.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
It would help a lot if you would tell us what this system is and perhaps present a system drawing (not just a block diagram).
Playbacknick said:
How do i include the first equation?
When you say "the first equation," I presume you are referring to eq(4.26a), in which case, the answer is that it is represented in eq(4.31b).

As to how to include tau, who knows? You have not told us what tau is.

I might also suggest that you make your first attempt to use Simulink on something much more simple, something for which you already know what to expect at every part. How about a simple spring-mass-damper system?

Dr.D thanks for your reply
In the following picture you can see the rotational system. Equation 4.24 describes tau.

01_rotational2dof.png

Should τ(t) be represented by a step function?

Eq(4.24) describes something called tau-sub-tau (or is it tau-sub-t?), but is that the same thing as plain tau? I would not expect it to be.

In Fig. 4.5, I see a tau on the end of the shaft. Who knows what this is supposed to be! (All of your text and figures are so small I can hardly read them; I'm about 4 times your age, and my eyesight is not all that great.)

I suspect that this problem is rather closely linked to the text where you found it, and consequently you are going to have to answer your own question based on re-reading the text material.

Likes Playbacknick
Thanks again it means a lot that you devoted some of your time to reply.
My understanding is that tau is the torque and i think it is the input of the system.Assuming that, I'm going to represent as a step function and run the simulation tomorrow.

I would agree that your book uses tau for torque, but there seems to be more than one torque that is represented by that symbol (also tau-sub-t).

Your figure appears to show a clutch. If you think that tau is the torque through the clutch, then making it a step function amounts to snapping the clutch. Great for drag racing, but very hard on clutches!

1. What is Simulink and why is it used for system modeling?

Simulink is a graphical programming environment and simulation tool developed by MathWorks. It is commonly used for modeling and simulating dynamic systems, particularly in the fields of engineering and science. Simulink allows users to visually represent and simulate their system models, making it easier to understand and analyze complex systems.

2. Why do novice users often face trouble when modeling a system in Simulink?

Novice users may face trouble when modeling a system in Simulink because it requires knowledge of both system dynamics and Simulink's interface and functionality. This can be overwhelming for someone who is not familiar with either, and may require some time and practice to become proficient in using the tool.

3. What are some common mistakes that novice users make when modeling a system in Simulink?

Some common mistakes that novice users make when modeling a system in Simulink include not fully understanding the system dynamics, not using the correct blocks or parameters, and not properly connecting the blocks in the model. It is important for novice users to carefully read the documentation and seek guidance from experienced users to avoid these mistakes.

4. How can novice users improve their skills in modeling systems in Simulink?

One of the best ways for novice users to improve their skills in modeling systems in Simulink is by practicing and experimenting with different models. Reading tutorials and documentation, as well as seeking help from experienced users, can also greatly improve their understanding of the tool. Additionally, taking courses or attending workshops on Simulink can provide more comprehensive knowledge and hands-on experience.

5. Can Simulink be used for real-time simulation and hardware-in-the-loop testing?

Yes, Simulink is designed to support real-time simulation and hardware-in-the-loop testing through its Real-Time Workshop and Real-Time Workshop Embedded Coder features. This allows users to run their Simulink models in real-time on hardware such as microcontrollers, processors, and field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs).